Similar to Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana, Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana is also an insurance scheme by the Government of India which aims to increase the adoption of life insurance cover by Indians. Launched along with Suraksha Bima Yojana and Atal Pention Yojana, the scheme has also seen a tremendous response with almost 30 million people getting covered within just about 8 months of launch of the scheme.
With the launch of the scheme, government aimed at creating a social security system, targeted especially for the poor and under-privileged category of society.
What is Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana?
Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMJJBY) is a one year life insurance scheme being offered by the LIC (Life Insurance Corporation) of India and other private insurance companies through the Public and Private Sector banks. The scheme offers a life cover of Rs. 2 Lakh in case of loss of life due to any reason up to the age of 55 years.
Premium for Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana
The premium of Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana can be affordable by people belonging to almost all income groups including EWS and BPL. It is just Rs. 330 per annum which will be auto-debited from the saving account of subscriber in the month of May every yeay. The insurance cover will commence from 1st June of the same year and will stretch to 31st May of the next year.
Specifications of the premium are as below
Insurance Premium to LIC / Insurance company: Rs. 289/-
Reimbursement of Expenses to BC/Micro/Corporate/Agent: Rs. 30/-
Reimbursement of Administrative charges of the participating bank: Rs. 11/-
TOTAL: Rs. 330
Eligibility for the Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana
- Any Indian resident within the age group of 18-50 years can join the scheme.
- The aspirant should have an active saving bank account.
- The subscriber should give a written consent to the bank for auto debit of premium amount.
- The subscriber will have to maintain required balance in the bank account at the time of auto debit on or before 31st May every year.
- The applicants will have to give a self certification of good health at the time of subscribing for the insurance cover.
- The subscriber will have to make a self declaration at the time of availing the scheme that he/she is not suffered from any acute or critical illness.
Features of Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana
- Yearly basis life insurance cover of Rs. 2 Lakh at a premium of just Rs. 330.
- Easy to join, maintain, exit and re-join.
- Available for all Indian citizens within age group of 18-50 years.
- being offered by LIC of India and other private insurance companies while the participating bank remaining the Master policy holder.
- Auto debit facility for the premium amount, no need to manually deposit the premium every year.
How to Join Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana
STEP 1: The insurance scheme can be joined by presenting the dually filled application forms from official website of PMJJBY.
STEP 2: Fill the application form and go to the bank where you have an active saving bank account. Make sure you have the enough balance in the account to pay the premium.
STEP 3: Give declaration of good health and a signed consent of joining the scheme and auto-debit of premium amount. The consent document is attached along with the download application form.
Application Forms for PMJJBY
The application forms or consent cum declaration forms for the Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana can be downloaded form the official website in the desired language at the link below
Termination of Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana
The insurance cover will terminate in any of the following events and no benefit will become payable there under.
- Upon attaining the age of 55 years subject to annual renewal up to that date (entry, however, will not be possible beyond the age of 50 years).
- Closure of the saving bank account or the insufficiency of the balance at the time of renewal.
- In case the applicant is found to be covered under more than one saving bank account, only one will remain active, rest will be terminated and the premium will be forfeited.
- The subscriber can himself/herself can exit the scheme any time in any particular year and can re-join by paying the full premium from the succeeding year.
How to Claim Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana Cover Amount
In case of claim the nominees/heirs of the insured person have to contact respective bank branch where the
insured person was having bank account. A death certificate and simple claim form is required to submit and the claim amount will be transferred to nominees account.
The Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana claim forms can be download from the below link