Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana, a rural development programme launched by central government led by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi in October 2014. In this SAGY scheme, MP’s of Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha have to adopt villages to be developed as model villages or Adarsh Grams. In this article, we will tell you about the complete details of the SAGY scheme.
Under the Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana, each of the 750 Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha MPs are supposed to choose at least one village in their constituencies and ensure that funding from all schemes are converged there, in an effort to make it a model village.
Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana 2021 Details
Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi launched Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana (SAGY) on 11th October, 2014 on the birth anniversary of Lok Nayak Jai Prakash Narayan at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi. The goal was to develop three Adarsh Grams by March 2019, of which one was to be achieved by 2016. Thereafter, five such Adarsh Grams (one per year) will be selected and developed by 2024. Inspired by the principles and values of Mahatma Gandhi, the scheme places equal stress on nurturing values of national pride, patriotism, community spirit, self-confidence and on developing infrastructure. SAGY will keep the soul of rural India alive while providing its people with quality access to basic amenities and opportunities to enable them to shape their own destiny.
Objectives of Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana
The goal of Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana (SAGY) is to translate this comprehensive and organic vision of Mahatma Gandhi into reality, keeping in view the present context. The main objectives of SAGY are as follows:-
- To trigger processes which lead to holistic development of the identified Gram Panchayats
- To substantially improve the standard of living and quality of life of all sections of the population through
- Improved basic amenities
- Higher productivity
- Enhanced human development
- Better livelihood opportunities
- Reduced disparities
- Access to rights and entitlements
- Wider social mobilization
- Enriched social capital
Implementation of Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana
Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana(SAGY) is one of the programmes inspired by the ideology of Mahatma Gandhi and his vision for Gram Swaraj. The programme emphasizes on Inspiring values of national pride, patriotism, unity, self confidence in the villagers.
SAGY converges resources available from a range of existing central sector, centrally sponsored and state schemes to achieve the programme objectives. The gram panchayats under the guidance of Hon’ble MPs follow a structured process of environment-creation, social-mobilization, situation analysis, participatory development planning, resource-mapping and execution.
Activities Involved in Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana (SAGY)
The chronology of activities involved in SAGY include the following:-
- Identification of GP – Uploading the GP identification letter from Hon’ble MP on the portal after due validation by District Collector/District Magistrate.
- Appointment of Charge Officer
- Entry Point Activities – Environment creation and social mobilization spearheaded by the Hon’ble MP.
- Setting up of a working group by the District Collector consisting of officials and outside professionals/ experts to draw up the draft village development plan.
- Situation Analysis – Identifies the local needs, key constraints, and available resources in relation to the socio-economic dynamics, availability of amenities, services, and fulfillment of rights and entitlements of villagers, etc.
- Formulation of Village Development Plan (VDP) – The working group draws up the draft village development plan based on the needs prioritized by the people. The Village Development Plan would broadly cover activities from the eight sectors listed in SAGY Guideline.
- Approval of the VDP – After incorporating suggestions of the Hon’ble MP, the VDP is to be approved at two levels, first at the Gram Sabha and then at the District Level Committee chaired by the District Collector.
- Execution of the Projects – Projects proposed under VDP should be executed through convergence of all Central & State Schemes and partnership with Private, Voluntary, and Cooperative (PVC) sectors.
SAGY Institutional Framework
The Institutional framework for Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana is as follows:-
Outcomes of Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana
Most of the outcomes related to investments and schemes are detailed in Annexure II. In additon, SAGY is expected to have other significant outcomes which would include:-
- Increased livelihoods/employment opportunities
- Reduction in distress migration
- Freedom from bonded labour, child labour and manual scavenging
- 100% registration of deaths and births
- Evolution of alternate dispute resolution system acceptable to all sections of the community
- Peace and Harmony
- Demonstration effect on other Gram Panchayats
PM Narendra Modi on SAGY
The Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana, unlike other Schemes, does not look at the beneficiaries as receivers and the Government as the doer. The Yojana aims to empower the villagers to make choices and provide them with opportunities to exercise those choices. The Scheme will give direction and I am certain that our ingenuous villagers will pave their own path through their hard work and entrepreneurial skills.
Progress of Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana
2090 – Total number of GPs selected
78477 – Total number of projects planned under VDP
49449 – Total number of projects completed under VDP
Schemes in Which SAGY is in Convergence
- National Rural Livelihoods Mission (NRLM)
- Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY)
- Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana-Gramin (PMAY-G)
- Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana
- Repair, Renovation & Restoration (RRR) of water bodies under PMKSY
- Prime Minister’s Employment Generation Programme (PMEGP)
- Scheme of Fund for Regeneration of Traditional Industries (SFURTI)
- Watershed Development Component of PMKSY (erstwhile IWMP)
- National Rural Drinking Water Programme
- NSS, NYK, National Programme for Youth and Adolescent Development
- Targeted PDS
- Rashtriya Gram Swaraj Abhiyan
- National Action Plan for Consumer Awareness
- National Health Mission (NHM)
- Mid Day Meal scheme (MDM)
- ICDS, Beti Bachao Beti Padhao, Kishori Shakti Yojana
- Paramparagat Krishi Vikas Yojana schemes
- Common Service Centres Scheme (CSC)
The detailed latest reports about Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana can be found at the official website at http://saanjhi.gov.in/