Central government is inviting Prime Minister Research Fellowship Scheme online application form 2023 at pmrf.in. With attractive fellowships, the scheme seeks to attract the best talent into research thereby realizing the vision of development through innovation. Accordingly, interested candidates can apply online for PM Research Fellowship through the official website. The PMRF scheme was firstly announced in the Budget 2018-19 and is continuing from then onward.
The primary objective of PM Research Fellowship Scheme is to promote research with focus on national priorities. Moreover, govt. wants to promote Research in cutting edge technologies and science areas. PMRF Scheme has been designed for improving the quality of research in various higher educational institutions in the country. The institutes which can offer PMRF include all the IITs, all the IISERs, Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru and some of the top Central Universities/NITs that offer science and/or technology degrees.
The candidates will be selected through a rigorous selection process and their performance will be reviewed suitably through a national convention.
PM Research Fellowship Scheme Online Application Form
The complete procedure to apply online for PMRF Application Form 2023 has been specified below:-
- Firstly visit the official website https://www.pmrf.in/
- Subsequently on the homepage, click the “Apply Online” tab present in the header.
- Next click the “Please Click Here To Apply Online” link present at the bottom of the page.
- Afterwards, the Prime Minister Research Fellowship Online Application Form 2023 will appear as shown below:-
- Here candidates can fill all the necessary details accurately and upload supporting documents along with fees payment receipt.
- Finally, candidates can click the “Submit” button to complete the PMRF Application Process.
- Furthermore, candidates can take a printout of the completed application form and keep it for any future reference.
List of Documents For PMRF Application Form Submission
The candidates must upload the following documents to fill and finally submit the PMRF Application Form:-
- Recent passport size photograph.
- Scanned Copy of Transcript / Gradesheet / Marksheet till the last completed Semester as PDF.
- Abstract (1000 words) as PDF File.
- Relevant Curriculum Vitae (CV) in PDF Format.
- SBI Collect E-Receipt PDF File.
PM Research Fellowship Amount / PMRF Salary
The candidates will get the following amount / salary for pursuing Doctoral Studies (Ph.D.):-
|Academic Year||Amount (per month)|
|First Year||Rs. 70,000|
|Second Year||Rs. 70,000|
|Third Year||Rs. 75,000|
|Fourth Year||Rs. 80,000|
|Fifth Year||Rs. 80,000|
Apart from this, each Fellow would be eligible for a research grant of Rs. 2 Lakhs per year (total of Rs 10 Lakhs for five years).
Tenure of Prime Minister Research Fellowship
The tenure of fellowship will be till the end of the 4th year of PhD for students from integrated courses and till the end of the 5th year of PhD for B.Tech. (or equivalent) students. For students selected through the lateral entry channel, the PMRF scholarship and obligations will continue only for the remainder of the student’s stay in the doctoral program. No retrospective payment will be made.
Industry participation in the PMRF program would be explored through CSR funding or otherwise to enable industry to sponsor Fellows.
PMRF Guidelines – Eligibility and Registration Procedure
Here are the complete PM Research Fellowship Scheme guidelines which includes PMRF eligibility and registration procedure:-
Direct Entry Channel for PMRF 2023
In order to apply for PMRF through this direct entry channel, each candidate must satisfy the following eligibility criteria:-
- The applicant should have satisfied one of the following criteria in the preceding three years from the date of submission of the application:
- completed or be pursuing the final year of four (or five) year undergraduate or five year integrated M.Tech. or 2 year M.Sc. or five year undergraduate postgraduate dual degree programs in Science and Technology streams from IISc / IITs / NITs / IISERSs / IIEST and centrally funded IIITs. These candidates should have secured a CGPA/CPI of at least 8.0 (on a 10-point scale). For applicants in the five year integrated or dual degree programs, if separate CGPAs/CPIs are awarded for UG and PG parts of the program, the CGPA/CPI of the UG part (first four years) will be considered. or
- completed or be pursuing the final year of four (or five) year undergraduate or five year integrated M.Tech. or five year integrated M.Sc. or 2 year M.Sc. or five year undergraduate-postgraduate dual degree programs in Science and Technology streams from any other Institute/University recognized in India, not covered in 1(a) above. These candidates should have secured a minimum CGPA of 8 or equivalent apart from a minimum score of 650 in the respective GATE subject. or
- qualified GATE and be pursuing or have completed M.Tech./MS by research at one of the PMRF Granting Institutions having a minimum CGPA or CPI of 8.0 (on a 10-point scale) at the end of the first semester with a minimum of four courses. For those candidates who are applying after the first semester, the CGPA or CPI requirement of 8.0 will be based on all the courses, labs, thesis that the candidate has completed.
- They apply for Ph.D. programme in one the PMRF granting institutes and get selected in the programme.
- The PMRF granting institute, which has admitted the student in the Ph.D. programme makes a strong recommendation, and uploads the relevant information at the PMRF web-portal. Student can only get admission in those institutes where he/she has got selected and wishes to seek admission (i.e., selection in one institute and availing PMRF from another institute which does not support the student for PMRF will not be allowed).
- The metrics on which the candidates will be judged will include (but not restricted to): research exposure, publications, performance in international competitions (like Math. Olympiad, ACM ICPC Programming Contest), grades and recommendation letters.
- Within 12-18 months of admission into the PhD programme, the progress of the candidate will be reviewed by the PMRF panel, and continuation of PMRF will be subject to candidate’s satisfactory performance. A strong research proposal is mandatory, and a clear assessment from the host institution in support of continuation of PMRF status. Due weightage would be given to publication in reputed journals/conferences.
Lateral Entry Channel for PMRF Scheme 2023
To apply for PMRF through this lateral entry channel, the candidate must satisfy all of the following criteria:-
- The candidate should be pursuing Ph.D. in one of the PMRF granting institutions. Further, he/she should have completed at most 12 months in the PhD programme if he/she joined the programme with a Master’s degree; and should have completed at most 24 months in the PhD programme if he/she joined the PhD programme with a Bachelor’s degree. The relevant period of 12 months or 24 months will be counted from the date of admission in the PhD programme till the date of application for lateral entry. A candidate can be considered at most twice through lateral entry channel PMRF. In case of Integrated M.Tech/MSc and PhD programmes, the candidate will be eligible to apply within 12 months of the date of satisfying the Master’s degree requirement. NOTE: There is a one time relaxation for lateral entry eligibility, where candidates who joined the Ph.D. programme during or after May 2019 are also eligible.
- The candidate should have completed at least four courses in the PhD programme, each of which should be a full-semester course, and obtained aggregate CGPA of 8.5 (out of 10) or higher.
- The PMRF Granting Institute, in which the student is enrolled, makes a strong recommendation for the candidate and uploads the relevant information on the PMRF web-portal. This includes a research proposal and soft copies of publications (which could include those under submission).
- Candidate continues work only in the host institute and transfer to another PMRF eligible institute is not allowed. Further, once enrolled in a PhD programme through lateral entry, the candidate cannot be considered for direct entry channel in a subsequent year.
- The metrics on which the candidates will be judged include (but not restricted to) a strong research proposal, publications record and grades. Due weightage should be given to publication in reputed journals/conferences.
PMRF Granting Institutions
The following institutions are PMRF Granting institutions under Prime Minister Research Fellowship Scheme:-
- Banaras Hindu University
- IISc Bangalore
- IISER Berhampur
- IISER Bhopal
- IISER Kolkata
- IISER Mohali
- IISER Pune
- IISER Thiruvananthapuram
- IISER Tirupati
- IIT Bhilai
- IIT BHU
- IIT Bhubaneswar
- IIT Bombay
- IIT Delhi
- IIT Dharwad
- IIT(ISM) Dhanbad
- IIT Gandhinagar
- IIT Goa
- IIT Guwahati
- IIT Hyderabad
- IIT Indore
- IIT Jodhpur
- IIT Kanpur
- IIT Kharagpur
- IIT Madras
- IIT Mandi
- IIT Patna
- IIT Roorkee
- IIT Ropar
- IIT Jammu
- IIT Palakkad
- IIT Tirupati
- Jamia Millia Islamia
- Jawaharlal Nehru University
- National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirappalli
- University of Delhi
- University of Hyderabad
- Aligarh Muslim University
Deliverables in PM Research Fellowship Scheme
- At the time of joining, each Fellow shall be given deliverables to be achieved each year. This will be decided by the assigned guide and the department which the fellow is joining.
- The deliverables are to be designed keeping in view the topic selected by the fellow.
- There shall be an annual review of PMRF fellows. The candidates would continue to avail the fellowship in the next year only if their performance is found satisfactory by the review committee. The review will be a rigorous process, and can be done in the form of a national convention (for each discipline). The nodal institute for the discipline may form multiple expert panels to evaluate the progress of the PMRF fellows. Each such panel can have 3-4 members, with at most 2 members from the host institution.
- Each fellow is expected to teach once a week in a neighbourhood ITI/Polytechnic/Engineering College, as per modalities approved by the Government.
- If the deliverables are not achieved, the fellowship could be brought down to the institutional fellowship level or even discontinued.
PMRF Application Fee 2023
The candidates must pay Rs. 1000 as PMRF Application Fees through the online mode to State Bank Of India (SBI). Candidates can pay their fees at the SBI Collect page. Here candidates have to accept the “Terms and Conditions” and then select the Payment Category as PMRF Application Fee 2023 and then make the required payment.
After successful payment, candidates can download the PDF file of e-receipt along with SBI Collect Reference Number. Moreover, candidates have to upload this SBI Collect E-receipt PDF file and enter the SBI Collect Refernce Number to complete the application process.
In order to boost research in academic institutions across the country, the HRD Ministry is creating a dedicated ‘Research and Innovation Division. The division will be headed by a director who will be coordinating research work of various institutions coming under the HRD Ministry.
Coordinating institute: Indian Institute of Technology Madras
Email: [email protected]
Contact Number: 044 22578079
Address: Indian Institute of Technology Madras, IIT P.O., Chennai, Tamil Nadu -600 036, India
Read Frequently Asked Questions – https://www.pmrf.in/faq