Goa government has launched Dayanand Social Security Scheme 2024 for senior citizens, single women, disabled persons and HIV / AIDS patient. The main objective of the DSSS scheme is to provide financial assistance to the most vulnerable sections of society. In this article, we will tell you about the Dayanand Social Security Scheme application procedure, list of documents required, general conditions, benefits, financial assistance, mode of payment etc.
The state cabinet on 29 October 2021 amended the Dayanand Social Security Scheme to increase monthly financial assistance to widows from the existing Rs. 2,000 to Rs. 2,500. As many as 35,145 widows presently avail of benefits under Dayanand Social Security Scheme that provides monetary aid to the most vulnerable sections of society.
In his budget speech for the year 2021-22, chief minister Pramod Sawant had given an assurance on the floor of the House that financial assistance to widows would be enhanced by Rs 500 per month. While no separate category exists for widows under the scheme, it has been included as a sub-category under the “single women” head. A single woman is a female who is above the age of 18 years and includes widows, divorcees, deserted or judicially separated women, and unmarried women above the age of 50 years.
In case, a widow crosses 60 years of age, she can choose financial assistance under either the “widow” or “senior citizen” categories. She is not eligible for financial assistance under both. The present annual financial liability incurred by the state to provide such assistance is over Rs 84 crore. On enhancement of financial aid to widows, the additional annual financial liability is expected to be over Rs 21 crore.
The Application for the grant of Financial Assistance under the Scheme shall be made in the prescribed form to the Director of Social welfare.
Each application shall be accompanied by the following documents, namely
- Birth Certificate – A Certificate issued by the Registrar of Births and Deaths or age as indicated in the School records or any other such valid documents showing the proof of age as notified by the Government
- Income Certificate – Each applicant shall submit his/her family income certificate issued by competent authority. In case applicant is not in a position to obtain the Income Certificate from the competent authority, then the applicant should submit a Self Declaration on Rs. 20/- stamp paper in the prescribed format duly certified and attested before a Gazetted Officer of the State Government.
- Residence Certificate – 15 years Residence Certificate issued by Mamlatdar of the concerned Taluka. Alternatively the applicant may submit the certificate in the prescribed format issued by the Gazetted Officer of the State Government certifying that the applicant is resident of Goa for the last 15 years.
- Medical Certificate – A Certificate in the prescribed form issued by the Medical Board in case of disabled persons.
- Death Certificate and Marriage Certificate of spouse in case the applicant is a widow and Decree of divorce in case the applicant is a divorcee. In case unmarried women above the age of 50 years, the applicant shall submit a self declaration on Rs. 20/- stamp paper as per the prescribed format and signed by Gazetted Officer of the State Government.
- An attested copy of Ration Card.
- An attested copy of Aadhar Card of the applicant.
- An attested copy of the Election Photo Identity Card.
- The applicant shall register themselves on payment of Rs. 200/- as registration fees. In case the applicant is unable to pay the registration fees than an amount of Rs. 50/- may be paid along with certificate issued by MLA/MP.
- Life Certificate: Every beneficiary shall submit Life Certificate to the Director of Social Welfare once in a year in the month of April/May in the prescribed format issued by the Manager of the Bank in which the beneficiaries monthly Financial Assistance is deposited or the Life Certificate issued by the Gazetted Officer of the State Government in the prescribed format. In case the beneficiary fails to submit the Life Certificate then the Financial Assistance sanctioned to him/her shall be discontinued.
- Each beneficiary shall open single account in a Nationalized Bank or Co-operative Bank.
- In case of Divorce and legal separation of a member, both the husband and wife will be treated as individual members, if they are individually eligible.
- Annual family per capita income of the applicant shall be less than the amount of annual Financial Assistance under the Scheme.
- After the Death of the beneficiary, other spouse shall be entitled for Financial Assistance provided that he/she shall apply for transfer of Financial Assistance in the prescribed format.
- 50 per cent of the Financial Assistance drawn by the spouse will be given, to a maximum of two children each, till they reach the age of 21 years in the event of death of the member and the spouse subject to the limit of Rs. 1000/- per child.
- In case of disabled and HIV positive children financial assistance will be extended even if the parents are availing DSSS or Griha Aadhar.
- Disabled people who was availing DSSS benefit will be continued even after his/her marriage with disabled who is also DSSS beneficiary subject to the condition that they have not availed gainful employment.
- Senior citizen, single woman, adult disabled and immune deficient (HIV/ /AIDS) patients shall be eligible for financial assistance at the rate of Rs. 2000/- per month under the scheme. (as per latest update, assistance to widow is now Rs. 2500 p.m).
- Disabled children with disability less than 90% shall be entitled for the financial assistance of Rs. 2500/- per month.
- Person with disabilities having 90% and above disability shall be entitled for the Financial Assistance of Rs. 3500/- per month subject to the fulfillment of required documents and general conditions provided that disabled children shall continue to get Financial Assistance indicated to the extent above even after they attain 21 years.
Senior citizens covered under Dayanand Social Security Scheme, who are having medical problems requiring continuous medication as part of treatment on producing Medical Certificate from the Chief Medical Officer/Health Officers of the Health Department in the prescribed format along with the application for claim of Medical Reimbursement will be eligible for availing the medical assistance of Rs. 500/- per month.
Financial Assistance to PwD for purchases of Aids and Appliances
Person with disabilities covered under Dayanand Social Security Scheme and who have medical problem requiring aids/appliances as a part of enabling Environment/Rehabilitation on producing Medical Certificate from the Chief Medical Officer/Health Officer of the Health Department in the prescribed format along with application for Financial Assistance shall be eligible for availing financial assistance of maximum upto Rs. 1,00,000 (Rupees one lakh only) once in a five year.
Sanction of Financial Assistance
(i) The applications received shall be scrutinized by the Directorate of Social Welfare and the same will be sanctioned by the Sanctioning Committee.
(ii) The Sanctioning Committee shall comprise of the following.
Chief Minister – Chairperson
Minister for Social Welfare – Member
Leader of Opposition – Member
Director of Social Welfare – Member
Mode of Payment
Financial assistance to the beneficiaries sanctioned by sanctioning authority shall be deposited in the Bank Account of the beneficiary by Director of Social Welfare every month.
Interpretation of Rules
The Sanctioning Committee’s decision regarding the eligibility of beneficiary/member for the purpose of the Scheme shall be final and binding on all the parties concerned.
Stopping/Cancellation of the Financial Assistance
Financial Assistance sanctioned under the Scheme shall be stopped/cancelled if:
(i) The beneficiary resorts to professional beginning.
(ii) The beneficiary under the rules is employed and his/her income exceeds the ceiling income prescribed in these rules.
Interpretation of Provision of DSSS
If any question arises regarding the interpretation of any clause, word, expression of the scheme, the decision about the interpretation shall lie with the Government and the decision in this regard shall be final and binding on all concerned.
Redressal of Grievances and Dispute
Grievances or any dispute if any, arising out of implementation of this scheme shall be addressed to the Secretary to the Government in charge of Science & Technology, who shall hear and decide such matters and the decisionof the Secretary to the Government in this regard shall be final and binding on all concerned.