Central government is inviting Health ID Card Registration under National Digital Health Mission (NDHM) at ndhm.gov.in website. This central govt’s health mission aims to provide unique health IDs to each individual. This scheme will work as a health account comprising their past medical records including conditions, treatment and diagnosis. National Health Authority (NHA) is the nodal agency for the mission.
National Digital Health Mission 2021
The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India has formulated NDHM with the aim to provide necessary support for integration of digital health infrastructure in the country. This National Digital Health Mission initiative, stemming from the National Health Policy, 2017 intends to digitize healthcare in India.
National Health Authority (NHA) has been entrusted with the role of designing strategy, building technological infrastructure and implementation of “National Digital Health Mission”. NHA is also apex body for implementation of Ayushman Bharat- Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (AB-PMJAY). The NDHM is a collaborative initiative between many ministries/departments.
Objectives of National Digital Health Mission
National Digital Health Mission has been launched with the objective of strengthen the accessibility and equity of health services across the country. NDHM will leverage information technology and other associated technologies to support the existing health systems in a “citizen – centric” approach. Here are some of the major objectives of National Digital Health Mission
- To build an infrastructure to provide state-of-the-art digital health systems and manage the core health data including its exchange.
- To create and maintain the personal health record system of international standards which will be easily accessible to individuals, medical professionals and services providers based on individual’s consent.
- To ensure portability in healthcare services on national level.
- To bring in efficiency, transparency and effectiveness to the governance in regard with the healthcare at all levels.
- To ensure regular improvement in the rendering of healthcare services to citizens.
- To enable healthcare sector to leverage the health data analytics and medical research.
- To build enterprise level health application systems along with a special focus on achieving the Sustainable Development Goals for health.
Vision of National Digital Health Mission
The vision of National Digital Health Mission is to create a national digital health ecosystem that supports universal health coverage in an efficient, accessible, inclusive, affordable, timely and safe manner, that provides a wide-range of data, information and infrastructure services, duly leveraging open, interoperable, standards based digital systems, and ensures the security, confidentiality and privacy of health-related personal information.
The mission will leverage the experience of Ayushman Bharat PMJAY which has already used the available public digital infrastructure to deliver end to end services through the IT infrastructure.
Guiding Principles for National Digital Health Mission
The NDHM has been designed, developed, deployed, operated and maintained by the Government following the guiding principles as laid out in National Digital Health Blueprint (NDHB). NDHM will be rolled out in phases and four primary systems shall be launched in the first phase. At a later stage, there is also a plan to integrate telemedicine and e-pharmacies into this.
NDHM Digital Systems
National Digital Health Mission will be launched with the 5 primary digital systems in the first phase and then be scaled by including more systems and improvements in existing.
Central Government Schemes 2021केंद्र सरकारी योजना हिन्दीPopular Schemes in Central:प्रधानमंत्री आवास योजना 2021 के लिए ऑनलाइन आवेदन कैसे करें – पूरी जानकारीPM Awas Yojana Gramin (PMAY-G)Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana
- Health ID – All individuals will be provided a unique Health ID which will be the first access point for their medical records.
- Digi Doctor – All the details of the doctors enrolled in the country including their name qualifications, name of the institutions of qualifications, specializations, registration number with State medical councils, years of experience, etc.
- Health Facility Registry (HFR) – All the health facilities such as hospitals would be registered into the system with all details such as services offered, specialties etc.
- Personal Health Records (PHR) – The health records which will be in control of the individuals will be in this system. This is specifically for the individuals themselves to enable them manage the information their health.
- Electronic Medical Records (EMR) – This is like the digital chart of patient’s medical history, treatment records etc.
Health ID Card under National Digital Health Mission (NDHM)
Every patient who wish to have their health records available digitally will start by creating a Health ID and a Health ID card will be there for him / her to use. The Health ID will be used for the storage of healthcare records and access by patients itself and the healthcare facilities based on consent of health ID holder. Health ID will be a unique ID created using the Aadhar number and mobile number details.
Health ID Card Registration / Login in National Digital Health Mission
Health ID is created by using basic details and mobile number or Aadhaar number and it will be unique to a person. Health ID can be obtained with the support of healthcare provider who is in the national health infrastructure registry or it can be obtained by self-registration from a mobile or a web application. Below is the complete procedure to make Health ID Card Registration under National Digital Health Mission:-
STEP 1: Firstly visit the official website at https://ndhm.gov.in/
STEP 2: At the homepage, click at the “Create Health ID” under Digital Systems section as shown below:-
STEP 3: At the next page, click at the “Create Your Health ID Now” link as shown below and then click at Continue button:-
STEP 4: Then applicants can proceed to the Health ID Card generation page with or without aadhaar as below or directly through https://healthid.ndhm.gov.in/register:-
STEP 5: If you want to make NDHM Health ID Card Registration using Aadhaar Card then click at “Generate via Aadhaar” tab as shown below to open the page as below:-
STEP 6: In case you do not want to give consent for your aadhaar and you want to create NDHM Health ID without aadhaar, then click at “I don’t have Aadhaar / I don’t want to use my Aadhaar for creating Health ID” link. It would open the page to make NDHM Health ID Card Registration via mobile as shown below:-
STEP 7: Applicants can make registration either through Aadhaar or without Aadhar as shown above and then complete the process to make registration.
STEP 8: Finally, applicants can make National Digital Health Mission Health ID Card login using the link https://healthid.ndhm.gov.in/login to open the page as shown below:-
Applicants can make login and completely fill in the remaining details to complete the NDHM Health ID Card application form filling process.
Requirements for Health ID Card
Name, Year of Birth, Gender, Mobile No. / Email and Aadhaar (Optional). The process of generation of Health ID has voluntary usage of AADHAR. Under NDHM, Health ID needs to be created and each Health ID will be linked to a health data consent manager. This will be used to seek the patient’s consent and allow for seamless flow of health information from the personal health records module. At present Health ID is announced in Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Chandigarh, Dadra & Nagar Haveli and Daman & Diu, Ladakh, Lakshadweep and Puducherry.
After the NDHM in running mode, Health ID can be obtained from any public hospital, community health centers, health and wellness centers across India or any healthcare provider who is in the National Health Infrastructure Registry.
How to Access Health Records
A user ID and password will be generated for all the health ID holders which can be used to access and modify the personal information as well health records.
Health ID Card Usage under National Digital Health Mission
National Health Mission’s aims to provide health ID to every individual citizen of India which can be used to digitize the medical records including prescription details, doctor appointments, diagnosis details, medical reports, discharge summaries and other health records. These records when shared with the service providers will ensure appropriate treatment and follow-up.
Infrastructure Support for National Digital Health Mission
NDHM will be supported by a centralized IT infrastructure which will be used for the secure storage and exchange of medical records of individuals, medical research data, health data analytics and much more at national level.
It is important to standardize the process of identification of an individual across healthcare providers. Health ID will be used to uniquely identify persons, authenticate them, and threading their health records (only with the informed consent of the patient) across multiple systems and stakeholders.
Benefits of National Digital Health Mission
- NDHM will benefit individuals, medical professionals, health care institutions and other people / institutions associated with healthcare industry in India.
- At first, the mission will improve the efficiency, effectiveness, and transparency in delivery of health services in all. The mission will also ensure the exchange of health records and portability of healthcare services across the country.
- The access of health records will help in remote delivery the health services such as tele-consultation and e-pharmacy. The scheme will also give a choice to individuals to choose either private or government health facility for treatment. NDHM will also bring in transparency in the pricing of services and accountability for the health services being rendered.
- One of the major benefits of the NDHM will be related to the medical insurance. The health insurance companies will be able to digitally access the treatment information and records of the patients which will help them in quick reimbursement of the claims.
- With the use of better health data analytics at micro and macro level, the government and policy makers would be able to make informed decisions for better preventive healthcare.
- Healthcare and medical researchers will also be able to work on their projects with greater accuracy and effectiveness using the data analytics available through NDHM infrastructure.
Blueprint of National Digital Health Mission
Blueprint of the NDHM was announced last year and can be accessed in digital format from the official NDHM portal at https://ndhm.gov.in/ndhb
NDHM Guidelines – Strategy Overview
National Health Authority under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. of India will be the authority who will be the primary government body responsible for implementation of the mission. The strategy overview of the National Digital Health Mission was announced by the NHA in July 2020 which can be downloaded in PDF format using the below link.
Significance of NDHM
This would be the first time India would make a foray in digital health sector. The National Digital Health Mission was announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his Independence Day speech in August 2020.
Key Highlights of National Digital Health Mission
- The National Health Authority has been testing its technological platforms through pilot projects in Union Territories.
- National Health Data Management Policy will provide a framework for the secure processing of personal and sensitive personal data of individuals who are part of the digital health ecosystem.
- The policy would safeguard digital personal health data, including the Personal Health Identifier, the electronic health and medical records, by implementing adequate technical and organisational measures across the digital health ecosystem.
- National Health Authority would launch an electronic medical records (EMR) web application.
- The web application would enable the user to register and create a universal unique health identifier.
- The application will not be linked to Aadhaar unless one is tapping into a government scheme for benefits.
- Similarly, the doctors would also be required to login and give their details including contact numbers, degrees and accrediations.
- The records would be sent to the State Medical Council, which would verify the records and then the doctor will be made part of the national digital health mission.
- In case a person needs an appointment, a doctor would digitally be a repository of information across cities.
The National Digital Health Mission had a pilot run in the Union Territories. Several states including Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Rajasthan, Maharashtra, Tripura, Jammu and Kashmir, Haryana and Uttar Pradesh have written to NHA requesting it to launch the mission in their states. However, the rollout of the mission would happen at the national level and not in a few states.
For more information, visit the official NDHM portal at ndhm.gov.in or click here
Image Sources and Credits: ndhm.gov.in