Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) is a new social welfare scheme launched by the Narendra Modi Government. Under the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana, the government aims to provide free LPG connections for the women from the BPL households.
Under the scheme, the government has set aside Rs 8000 crore for three years for providing free LPG connections to the women belonging to the Below Poverty Line households. Rs. 2000 Crores have already been set aside in 2016-17 union budget to cover the initial cost of providing the free LPG connections.
According the estimates, about 1.50 Crore BPL families will be benefited under the scheme in the year 2016-17. The scheme will cover 3.5 Crore more BPL families in the next two years. The scheme provides a financial support of Rs 1600 for each LPG connection to the BPL households.
The identification of the BPL beneficiaries will be made in consultation with the state governments and union territories. This is the first ever welfare scheme by the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas which would benefit crores of women belonging to the poorest households.
Objective of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana
The government aims to not just distribute free LPG connections but also reduce the serious health hazards associated with cooking based on fossil fuels. The objective of the scheme is to empower women and protect their health. The scheme is also expected to provide employment to rural youth in supply chain of the cooking gas.
How to Apply for Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana
The applications for the Ujjwala Yojana will be invited through only the offline mode. The interested applicants can apply for the scheme by filling up the prescribed Ujjwala Yojana application form.
The application forms of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana are available at all the LPG outlets or distribution centers across the country. The interested candidates can obtain the application forms for free or download from the link below.
View detailed step by step application procedure of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana.
Basic eligibility criteria for the Ujjwala Yojana is as following
- The applicant should be a women with minimum age of 18 years as on 01 May 2016.
- The applicant should belong to BPL (Below Poverty Line) household in the country.
- The applicant details will be matched to the SECC-2011 data (Rural).
- The applicant’s household should not already own a LPG connection.
There are certain documents required to be attached with the application form as below.
- BPL Certificate Authorised by Panchayat Pradhan / Municipality Chairman*
- BPL Ration Card*
- One Photo ID (Aadhar Card or Voter ID Card)*
- One Recent Passport Size Photograph*
- Aadhar Card
- Driving License
- Lease Agreement
- Voter ID Card
- Telephone / Electricity / Water Bill
- Copy of Passport
- Self-Declaration attested by Gazetted Officer
- Ration Card
- Flat Allotment / Possession Letter
- House Registration Documents
- LIC Policy
- Bank / Credit Card Statement
It is not necessary to submit all the above said documents but some of those which can verify your permanent residence address and you as a BPL candidate.
Need for Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana
- Poor have limited access to Clean fuel (LPG) . LPG spread predominantly in Urban and Semi Urban areas.
- Use of fossil fuels and conventional fuel like cowdung has a serious health implications for women and Children.
- According to WHO, 5 Lakhs die every year due to heart disease, pulmonary diseases etc.
- Indoor air pollution is also responsible for significant number of acute respiratory diseases in young children.
Operational Details of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana
- 5 Cr LPG connections will be provided to BPL families with a support of Rs 1600 each household.
- Connections will be given in the name of Women beneficiaries.
- Identification of BPL families will be made in consultation with State Governments and Union territories.
- EMI Facility for meeting the cost of Stove and Refill cost.
The detailed guidelines of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana have been released by the ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas, the PDF document can be downloaded from the below link.
Ujjwala Yojana Advertisement
हिंदी में पढ़ें: प्रधान मंत्री उज्ज्वला योजना हिंदी में.