Department of School Education and Literacy (DSEL) is inviting online applications for National Means cum Merit Scholarship Scheme 2022. Under this NMMSS scheme, all the meritorious students belonging to the economically weaker sections will be given scholarships after class 8th. All the students of Class 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th will get scholarship of Rs. 12,000 per year (earlier Rs. 6000 p.a) to pursue their studies. Interested candidates can apply online and fill National Means cum Merit Scholarship Online Application Form at scholarships.gov.in
Scholarship rate is fixed at Rs. 1000 per month and there are 1 lakh scholarships to be given to Class 9th students. Candidates will continue to receive this amount and they can apply for renewal in class 10th, 11th, 12th. This scholarship will assist students to study in State govt. / Govt. aided & Local body Schools.
The main aim is to reduce the dropout rate after class 8th. Interested and eligible candidates can make registration at National Scholarship portal and apply for National Means cum Merit Scholarship Scheme before last date.
What is DSEL National Merit Cum Means Scholarship Scheme 2022
The National Means-cum-Merit Scholarship Scheme (NMMSS) is a central sector scheme launched in May 2008 to provide scholarships for meritorious students of classes 9th to 12th. The scheme is on-boarded on the National Scholarship Portal (NSP).
Objective of National Means Cum Merit Scholarship Scheme
To award scholarships to meritorious students of economically weaker sections to arrest their drop out at class VIII and encourage them to continue their study and complete secondary stage.
Coverage of NMMSS
The National Means Cum Merit Scholarship Scheme envisages award of one lakh fresh scholarships every year to selected students of class 9th and their continuation/renewal in classes 10th to 12th for study in a State Government, Government-aided and Local body schools under the scheme.
An amount of Rs. 12000/- per student per annum. The rate of scholarship has been enhanced from Rs. 6000/- to Rs. 12000/- per year with effect from 1st April 2017.
NMMSS Scholarship Scheme Eligibility & Details
Every candidate must fulfill the following eligibility criteria to become eligible for National Means-cum-Merit Scholarship Scheme. Here is the complete eligibility criteria to appear in NMMSS selection test:-
- The total family income of all the candidates from all sources must not exceed Rs. 1.5 lakh per annum.
- All the students will get reservation on the basis of State govt. norms.
- The student must have minimum of 55 % marks or equivalent grade in Class VII examination for appearing in selection test for award of scholarship (relaxable by 5% for SC and ST students).
- Student should be studying as a regular student in government, govt. aided and local body schools. Students of NVS, KVS and residential schools are not entitled for scholarships.
Selection of Fresh Awardee Students
- NMMSS selection test is conducted at stage of class 8th.
- Each State and UT conducts its own test for selection of students for the award of the National Means-cum-Merit Scholarship. Due publicity is given by the State and UT regarding the test. Interested eligible students may contact State Nodal Officer for details.
- A student who fulfills the eligibility criteria must pass both the tests, i.e., Mental Ability Test (MAT) and Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) under NMMSS with at least 40 % marks in aggregate taken together for these two tests. For the SC/ST students, this cut off is 32% marks.
Selection of Renewal Awardee Students
The awardees should get minimum of 55% marks in Class 9th and 11rh, and a minimum of 60% in Class 10th for continuance of scholarship (relaxable by 5% for SC/ST candidates).
NMMSS Scheme on-boarded on National Scholarship Portal (NSP)
The NMMSS Scheme has been on-boarded on National Scholarship Portal (NSP), which has been developed by Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) for streamlining and fast tracking the release of Scholarships across Ministries / Departments with efficiency, transparency and reliability.
NMMSS Apply Process under NSP
- To apply for NMMSS, students from different States and UTs, who have qualified in the MAT and SAT under NMMSS must register themselves on NSP.
- The applications are verified online on the portal by the prescribed State authorities.
- The final list of eligible candidates, complete in all respect, is provided to the MHRD by NSP Team for sanction of the scholarship.
- The Ministry of HRD thereafter sanctions funds and releases to State Bank of India (SBI), the implementing bank for the Scheme.
- The SBI disburses the scholarships to students directly by electronic transfer into their bank accounts under Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) through Public Financial Management System (PFMS).
Now we are describing how to apply online and fill application form for NMMSS Scheme.
National Means cum Merit Scholarship Scheme (NMMSS) Application Form
Below is the complete procedure to apply online for NMMSS Scholarship 2022 for meritorious poor students:-
STEP 1: Visit the National Scholarship Portal at scholarships.gov.in
STEP 2: At homepage, click at the “New Registration” tab present in the main menu or directly click scholarships.gov.in/fresh/
STEP 3: Then National Means Cum Merit Scholarship Scheme Registration Guidelines page will appear as follows:-
STEP 4: Read all the instructions carefully and click at the “Continue” button at the bottom to open the National Means Cum Merit Scholarship Scheme Registration Form 2022:-
STEP 5: Fill the essential details, click at the “Register” button to get Username and ID on your registered Mobile Number.
STEP 6: After candidates can “Login” using the details sent on Mobile number, Verify OTP, Change Password and then click at “Apply” link on the dashboard to fill the NMMS Scheme Online Application Form 2022 which will appear as follows:-
STEP 7: Fill complete details and click at the “Save & Continue” button to complete online application process for NMMSS Scholarship Scheme 2022.
Students of NVS, KVS, Sainik Schools and private schools cannot fill the NMMSS Scholarship Application Form. District Education Officer will forward the list to State Nodal officers who has to verify the beneficiaries and confirm the awardees of scholarship.
NMMS Scholarship Rate & Number of Scholarship
Central govt. offers a total number of 1 lakh scholarships @ 12000 p.a (1000 p.m) to the selected students of Class 9th every year. These scholarships are continued /renewed in Class 10th to Class 12th for study in State govt. / Govt. Aided / Local Body Schools. State Bank of India (SBI) holds the responsibility to disburse this amount directly into the bank account of students through Public Financial Management System (PFMS).
Each State / UT conducts State level Examination for selection of students for the award of the National Means-cum-Merit Scholarship. This includes Mental Ability Test (MAT), Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT). Candidates must pass MAT & SAT at-least 40% marks. For reserved category, this cut off is 32% marks. Central govt. will provide 100% funds for the scheme.
Note – All the students of Class 9th and 10th needs to apply under Pre-Matric scholarship category while students of class 11th and 12th need to apply under Post-Matric scholarship category. For renewal of Scholarship, click the link – Apply for PMMS Scholarship Renewal
— For more details, visit the official website https://scholarships.gov.in/