Gujarat govt. has launched PNG / LPG Sahay Yojana to provide subsidized piped natural gas to bpl families. Under this scheme, the state govt. is going to provide a one time subsidy of Rs. 1,600 for each connection / bpl household. In addition to this, govt. will also provide a loan amount of Rs. 1725 to consumers who are seeking new PNG connections. For this Subsidized PNG to BPL families scheme, govt. has made a provision of 72 crore to provide subsidy to the beneficiaries.
If this scheme remains successful in the state than govt. will roll-out this png subsidy scheme across the entire country. PNG / LPG Sahay Scheme is an extension to the PM Modi’s Ujjwala Yojana. This scheme is going to replace kersone entirely and will provide cleaner fuel to BPL families. Gujarat is the 1st state to launch a PNG scheme for the AAY (Antyodaya Anna Yojana) and BPL (below poverty line) category households in selected urban areas across the country.
As the Ujjwala Yojana does not covers the urban AAY / BPl Households, this scheme will supplement Ujjwala Yojana. Initially, around 2.32 lakh urban AAY / BPL households will get benefits with the help of city gas distribution companies and state-owned oil marketing companies during 2018-19.
PNG / LPG Sahay Yojana – Subsidized PNG to BPL / AAY Families
Nitin Patil, Chief Executive Officer of the state government is the nodal officer for this LPG / PNG Sahay Yojana 2018. This new scheme will cover the left-out urban AAY / BPL households of Ujjwala yojana and will provide a cleaner fuel for domestic purposes. The state govt. has launched this scheme in the Bharuch District to replace kerosene. The important features and highlights of this new Subsidized PNG to BPL Families scheme are as follows:-
- Under this scheme, the state govt. will pay Rs. 1,600 as one-time subsidy per connection. Govt. will also provide Rs. 1,725 as loan to customers to opt for a new PNG connection.
- Beneficiaries will now have to pay only Rs. 118 for a new png / lpg connection. People will also have to deposit a refundable security deposit of Rs. 50 p.m for a period of 100 months.
- State govt. has a pipeline network covering around 25,000 km for city gas distribution (CGD) companies which will also support the scheme. Gujarat also has 1.8 million household connected to PNG.
- In the next phase of this pilot project, scheme will also expanded to other municipal corporations and districts.
- New PNG / LPG Sahay Scheme 2018 is basically for BPL families in urban areas where the gas distribution network is already present.
This new policy for PNG households will give a major boost towards the cleaner cooking fuel. CM also launched various other programmes like Kabirvad Development Project (approx. 40 crore), Mukhyamantri Apprentice Yojana to provide Rs. 4500 per month as stipend (approx. 300 crore) and Sujlam Suflam Jal Sanchay Abhiyan for Water Conservation.