Telangana govt. had launched Kanti Velugu Scheme 2021 to achieve “Avoidable Blindness Free” status. In this Free Complete Eye Check Up Scheme, govt. will perform Universal Eye Screening of citizens to treat refractive errors, cataract and other ailments. Moreover in this Light for Eyes Programme, concerned authorities will create a database of eye health profile of citizens linked to Aadhaar Number. All services will be given absolutely free of cost to benefit 3.50 crore residents.
Kanti Velugu Program 2021 will also include distribution of spectacles and surgeries to treat various eye disorders. Chief Minister KCR had launched this Universal Eye Screening Program in Malkapur Villages in Medak district on 72nd Independence Day i.e 15 August 2018. As per the official data, Kanti Velugu scheme helped 38 lakh beneficiaries in Telangana till 1 January 2021. Overall, 23,43,642 individuals benefited from the reading glasses given as part of the scheme.
GHMC, Self Help Groups and other revenue officials will distribute eye screening slips just like distribution of voter slips. Eye Camps will be organized in various areas of the state for Universal Eye Care.
Telangana Kanti Velugu Scheme 2021
This Free Eye Check up Scheme is a massive first of its kind initiative in the country to benefit 3.50 crore citizens. In this Kanti Velugu Scheme, eye screening of citizens to treat refractive errors, cataract and other ailments. This scheme also includes distribution of spectacles and surgeries to treat eye disorders. In this article, we will tell you about the complete details of the Kanti Velugu Programme.
Objectives of Free Eye Check-Up Scheme
The main objectives of this Kanti Velugu Scheme 2021 are as follows:-
- To conduct universal eye screening and vision tests for all citizens of the state.
- In case of refraction errors, spectacles will be provided free of cost.
- Surgeries will be organized in case of Cataract, Glaucoma, Retinopathy, Corneal Disorders.
- For Vitamin A deficiency and Eye infections, medicines will be provided free of cost.
- To educate people on prevention of serious eye disabling diseases.
All the services to be provided are absolutely free of cost. This Kanti Velugu Scheme will provide benefits to all residents irrespective of their Socio-Economic status. Even a 30 day old baby can be treated for Retinoblastoma. This is an essential step as around 30% to 40% citizens in the state are suffering from eye problems.
Eye Camps under Kanti Velugu Scheme
Various Eye Camps will be organized in different parts of the state to identify and treat eye disorders. Important features and facilities being provided to people at these Eye Camps under Kanti Velugu Scheme are as follows:-
- Medical teams will conduct Eye Camps. Each Medical team will comprise of 1 Medical Officer, 2-3 MPHS (Male) & (Female), 1-2 Optometrists, Pharmacist, 2-3 ASHA Workers and 1 Data Entry Operator.
- Each team will get a full time vehicle and will be equipped with essential devices, materials and drugs to provide services.
- In Rural areas, Camps will be organized PHC-Wise in all Gram Panchayats in Rural areas. In GHMC areas and other Urban areas, camps will be held Ward Wise.
- Data of each person walking in for treatment will be captured electronically on a software. This will ensure tracking of follow up services for surgery and distribution of glasses accurately.
Expected Outreach of Kanti Velugu Scheme
|Overall Population covered||3.5 Crores|
|Total Glasses / Spectacles to be provided||41,05,808|
|People to be given Primary Care||50 Lakhs|
|People to be given Secondary Care||3,31,178|
|Number of people to be given Tertiary Care||14,283|
It is expected that the total budget of this scheme will be around 106.84 crore. Out of this, the state govt. will provide Rs. 84 crore while the remaining amount of Rs. 24 crore will be tapped under National Health Mission.
Progress of Kanti Velugu Scheme in Telangana
The Kanti Velugu scheme in 2018-19 helped nearly 2,96,402 Lakh beneficiaries in Rangareddy district alone for reading and prescription glasses. In a district-wise break-up, Rangareddy had the highest benefit of the scheme followed by Hyderabad with about 2,48,880 beneficiaries. The data was revealed in an RTI filed by an advocacy group named Society for Safety of Public and Good Governance.
Overall, 23,43,642 individuals benefited from the reading glasses given as part of the scheme. eneficiaries who got prescription glasses numbered 14,95,972 people. As per the RTI, the entire campaign scheme had a funding allocation of Rs 196.79 crore and all of the same was utilised within 1 year of the scheme deployment.
Salient Features of Kanti Velugu Scheme
Here are the important features and highlights of the Kanti Velugu Scheme 2021 in Telangana state:-
- To conduct eye screening & vision test for all citizens of the state.
- Provide spectacles free of cost.
- Arrange for surgeries and other treatments free of cost.
- Provide medicines for common eye ailments.
- Educate people on prevention of serious disabling eye diseases.
— For more details, see the official Kanti Velugu Scheme notification
— Visit the official website – http://chfw.telangana.gov.in/homeTSACS.do