Central government is going to launch a new PM Pranam Scheme 2022 to reduce usage of chemical fertilizers. The scheme will be financed by the “savings of existing fertiliser subsidy” under schemes run by the Department of fertilisers. The proposed scheme is also in line with the government’s focus on promoting the balanced use of fertilisers or alternative fertilisers in the last few years. In this article we will tell you about the complete details of PM Pranam Scheme.
About PM Pranam Scheme 2022
PM PRANAM scheme stands for PM Promotion of Alternate Nutrients for Agriculture Management Yojana. Union govt. will start PM Pranam scheme to reduce the use of chemical fertilisers by incentivising states. The proposed scheme will focus on reducing the subsidy burden on chemical fertilisers, which is expected to increase to Rs. 2.25 lakh crore in 2022-2023, which is 39% higher than the previous year’s figure of Rs 1.62 lakh crore.
Under PM Pranam Scheme, 50% subsidy savings will be passed on as a grant to the state that saves the money. Moreover, 70% of the grant provided under Pranam Yojana can be used for asset creation related to technological adoption of alternate fertilisers and alternate fertiliser production units at village, block and district levels. The remaining 30% grant money can be used for incentivising farmers, panchayats, farmer producer organisations and self-help groups that are involved in the reduction of fertiliser use and awareness generation.
Central government will compare a state’s increase or reduction in urea in a year, to its average consumption of urea during the last 3 years. Data available on a fertiliser Ministry dashboard, iFMS (Integrated fertilisers Management System) will be used for this purpose.
Requirement of Fertilizers in India
The Kharif season, June to October, is critical for India’s food security. This season solely accounts for nearly half the year’s production of foodgrains, one-third of pulses and approximately two-thirds of oilseeds. A sizable amount of fertiliser is required for Kharif season. Department of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare assesses the requirement of fertilisers each year before the start of the cropping season and informs the Ministry of Chemical and fertilisers to ensure its adequate supply.
The amount of fertiliser required varies each month according to demand, which is based on the time of crop sowing and also varies from region to region. For example, the demand for urea peaks during June-August period, but is relatively low in March and April, and the government uses these two months to prepare for an adequate amount of fertiliser for the kharif season.
Need for PM Pranam Scheme 2022
With an increasing demand for fertilizer in the country over past 5 years, overall expenditure by central government on subsidy has also increased. The total requirement of four fertilisers – Urea, DAP (Di-ammonium Phosphate), MOP (Muriate of potash), NPKS (Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium) – increased by 21% between 2017-2018 and 2021-2022. The demand for 4 fertilizers has increased from 528.86 lakh metric tonnes (LMT) to 640.27 LMT.
With an increase in demand for fertilizers, the Union govt. has also been increasing the subsidies it provides for chemical fertilisers. Earlier in Union Budget 2021-22, govt. had budgeted an amount of Rs. 79,530 crore, which has now been increased to Rs. 1.40 lakh crore in the revised estimates (RE). However, the final figure of fertiliser subsidy touched Rs 1.62 lakh crore in 2021-22.
In the current financial year (2022-23), govt. has allocated Rs 1.05 lakh crore, but the fertiliser Minister has stated that the fertiliser subsidy figure could cross Rs. 2.25 lakh crore during this year. PM PRANAM, which seeks to reduce the use of chemical fertiliser, will likely reduce the burden on the exchequer. The proposed scheme is also in line with the government’s focus on promoting the balanced use of fertilisers or alternative fertilisers in the last few years.
PM Pranam Scheme Launch Date
Top officials of Ministry of Chemicals and fertilisers have shared information about the proposed PM Pranam Scheme to state government officials during the National Conference on Agriculture for Rabi Campaign, which was held on 7 September 2022. The ministry has also sought their suggestions on the features of PM PRANAM. Inter-ministerial discussions on PM Pranam scheme have alredy begun and its draft will be completed after incorporating the views of the departments concerned.