PM Narendra Modi has announced to launch NAVIC Indian Navigation GPS App on the occasion of 72nd Independence Day (15 August 2018). This is an Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS) to give directions to common citizens and fishermen. Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) is working on this project to provide Reliable Position, Navigation and Timing services across India and its neighborhood.
NAVIC Stands for “Navigation with Indian Constellation” which will provide fairly good accuracy to the user. This Global Positioning System (GPS) will be an essential component for critical National applications.
NAVIC GPS App (IRNSS) is an independent regional navigation satellite system which is being developed by India.
NAVIC Indian Navigation GPS App – IRNSS Services
NAVIC GPS App (IRNSS) will basically provide two types of services which are as follows:-
- Standard Positioning Service (SPS) – This is for all users and will facilitate research & development and aid the commercial use of the IRNSS signals for navigation-based applications.
- Restricted Service (RS) – This is an encrypted service which is accessible only to authorized users. This IRNSS System will provide a position accuracy of better than 20 m in primary service area.
NavIC system is specifically designed to provide accurate position information service to users in India. This system has coverage range extending upto 1500 km from its boundary (primary service area).
Applications of IRNSS – NAVIC Indian Navigation GPS System
Various applications for which NAVIC GPS App (Navigator) could be used are as follows:-
- Terrestrial, Aerial and Marine Navigation
- Usage in Disaster Management Activities
- Tracking of vehicles and fleet management
- Integration with mobile phones
- Precise Timing
- Mapping and Geodetic data capture
- Terrestrial navigation assistance for hikers and travellers
- Visual and voice navigation for drivers
People can use this App as “Navigator” which is necessary to reach any place across India. This is a Swadeshi GPS system, which is developed entirely by our scientists. Now the country will not have to be dependent on other countries for navigation aid in NAVIC GPS App.
NAVIC GPS App Implementation – IRNSS Satellites Launched by ISRO
Till date, ISRO has build total 9 satellites in IRNSS series of which 8 satellites are in orbit while 1 is unsuccessful in its launch. 3 satellites are in geostationary orbit (GEO) and 5 satellites are in geosynchronous orbits (GSO) to maintain an inclination of 29° to the equatorial plane. The 8 satellites which are currently in orbit are as follows:-
|Name of Satellite||Launch Date|
|IRNSS 1A||2 July 2013|
|IRNSS 1B||4 April 2014|
|IRNSS 1C||16 October 2014|
|IRNSS 1D||28 March 2015|
|IRNSS 1E||20 January 2016|
|IRNSS 1F||10 March 2016|
|IRNSS 1G||28 April 2016|
|IRNSS 1I||12 April 2018|
PM Modi has named the IRNSS constellation as “NavIC” (Navigation with Indian Constellation) and dedicated IRNSS 1G satellite to the nation. PSLV-39 / IRNSS 1H is unsuccessful during its launch, so it could not reach the orbit. NAVIC GPS App will soon become functional and will replace all the existing GPS Systems.