Goods & Services Tax official website gst.gov.in is now live and is open for online enrollment for smooth transition to GST. GSTN, the company which is building the mega IT infrastructure for roll-out of the new Goods & Services Tax regime in India has launched the official portal www.gst.gov.in silently on 8th November, the same day Narendra Modi announced the ban of Rs. 500 and Rs. 1000 notes.
The government has already started the migration of VAT payers, service taxpayers and central excise taxpayers into the new Goods & Services Tax regime. 4 Data centers in Delhi and Banglore have been established to keep the massive data safe ans secure and support the IT infrastructure of Goods & Services Tax regime. Log on to www.gst.gov.in to know more about the Goods and Services Tax or online enrollment.
What the GST portal will do?
Goods & Services Tax portal will act as a single windows for all the taxpayers to pay their taxes smoothly and easily instead of various heads and spectrums earlier. All the taxpayers including traders, businessman, and merchants can now pay their monthly/yearly excise duty, service tax, VAT and all other types of direct/indirect taxes through Debit/Credit cards or NEFT/RTGS protocols. The portal will also act as IT backbone for registering new businesses, filing e-returns, and getting back refunds.
Goods & Services Tax has made a uniform tax structure pan-India after Goods and Services Tax is formally implemented. The transition of taxpayers has been started and below are the dates for enrollments for state-wise Goods & Services Tax transition.
Goods & Services Tax Registration with Aadhar Card Number
Goods and Services Tax Council has allowed the usage of Aadhaar number as proof to obtaining Goods & Services Tax registration. Now dealers can make GST Registration with Aadhar Card Number, this decision is taken in 1st meeting of Goods & Services Tax Council after the PM Narendra Modi government comes in power again. All the businesses will be allowed to use Aadhaar for registering themselves on the Goods and Services Tax portal @ gst.gov.in.
The Goods & Services Tax council has extended the tenure of anti-profiteering authority by 2 years. Moreover, the council has imposed a penalty of upto 10% on businesses not passing on benefits of rate cuts to consumers. The Goods & Services Tax council extended the timelines for filing annual returns under the Goods & Services Tax regime.
The one-form new GST return filing system would be applicable. Goods & Services Tax Council has eased the enrollment process for new firms and allowed usage of 12 digit Aadhaar number to get registration. Aadhaar number is a 12-digit number issued by the UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India) to the residents of India.
How to Make Goods & Services Tax Registration – https://www.gst.gov.in/help/enrollmentwithgst
Announcement on GST Registration by Aadhar Card Number
The announcements made by the Goods & Services Tax Council are as follows:-
- Businesses can now use Aadhaar card number to register with Goods & Services Tax network at gst.gov.in
- The tenure of National Anti-Profiteering Authority (NAA) has been extended by 2 more years till 30 November 2021. This will ensure companies to pass on benefits of lower Goods & Services rates to consumers. After rolling out of GST on 1 July 2017, the govt. had approved setting up of NAA for 2 years to deal with complaints by consumers against companies for not passing on Goods & Services Tax rate cut benefits. NAA was formed on 30 November 2017 and till date, NAA has passed 67 orders in various cases and complaints.
- Goods & Services Tax Council headed by Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman and comprising of representatives of all states and Union Territories also approved an electronic invoicing system and e-ticketing in multiplexes. The electronic invoicing system would be rolled out in a phase-wise manner for B2B transactions.
- In the GST Council meeting, govt. also approves to impose penalty of upto 10% of profiteered amount on entities for not passing on benefits of Goods & Services Tax rate cuts to consumers. Currently, govt. levy a maximum fine of Rs. 25,000.
- Moreover, the date for filling annual returns under Goods & Services Tax regime has been extended by 2 months.
In the previous system, people had to submit proof of identity, proof of address and several other documents. The applicants can now go online and can register on the GSTN portal to obtain the Goods & Services Tax registration number using their Aadhaar number and OTP authentication.
For more details, visit the official website at https://www.gst.gov.in/