Introducing the Samudra Sathi Scheme, an innovative initiative by the West Bengal government aimed at providing crucial support to fishermen during the annual fishing ban period. Designed to alleviate the financial strain faced by fishermen and their families, this scheme offers timely assistance of ₹5000 per month for two months, ensuring their basic needs are met during the ban.
In West Bengal, where fishing is a vital source of livelihood for many, the Samudra Sathi Scheme emerges as a beacon of hope during challenging times. Launched under the visionary leadership of Finance Minister Chandrima Bhattacharya, this initiative underscores the government’s commitment to the welfare of its citizens, particularly those engaged in the fishing community. With a budget allocation of ₹200 crores and an estimated 2 lakh beneficiaries, the scheme stands as a testament to the state’s dedication to socio-economic empowerment.
Introduction to Samudra Sathi Scheme
- Fishing plays a significant role in the livelihoods of many in West Bengal, yet the annual fishing ban from mid-April to mid-June poses financial challenges for fishermen.
- To alleviate this burden, the West Bengal government has introduced the Samudra Sathi Scheme, providing financial assistance to registered fishermen during the ban period.
Objective of the Scheme:
- The primary aim of the Samudra Sathi Scheme is to support fishermen and their families during the fishing ban period, enabling them to meet their basic needs.
- Financial assistance of ₹5000 per month for two months will be provided, totaling ₹10,000 per beneficiary.
Samudra Sathi Scheme – Highlights
- Launch Date: February 8, 2024
- Announced by: Finance Minister Chandrima Bhattacharya
- Budget Allocated: ₹200 Crores
- Estimated Beneficiaries: 2 Lakh
- Assistance Duration: 2 Months
- Districts Eligible: East Midnapore, North 24-Parganas, and South 24-Parganas
Eligibility Criteria for Samudra Sathi Scheme
- Must be a permanent resident of West Bengal.
- Must be a registered fisherman.
- Residents of eligible districts: East Midnapore, North 24-Parganas, and South 24-Parganas.
- Aadhar Card
- Passport Size Photograph
- Mobile Number
- Bank Account Details
- Domicile Certificate
- Proof of Fisherman Registration
How to Apply for Samudra Sathi Scheme
- Visit the Official Website: Go to the designated website for the Samudra Sathi Scheme.
- Click “Apply Here”: Look for the “Apply Here” option and click on it.
- Fill the Form: Complete the digital application form with accurate details.
- Upload Documents: Provide necessary documents as instructed, such as ID proofs and registration documents.
- Review Information: Double-check all details for accuracy.
- Submit: Click on the submit button to send your application.
Benefits and Features
- Financial assistance of ₹5000 per month for two months.
- Budget allocation of ₹200 crores for implementation.
- Targeting 2 lakh registered fishermen in eligible districts.
- Provides relief during the fishing ban period from mid-April to mid-June.
The Samudra Sathi Scheme reflects the West Bengal government’s commitment to supporting its fishermen community during challenging times. By providing financial assistance during the fishing ban period, the scheme aims to ensure the well-being and sustenance of fishermen and their families, contributing to their socio-economic stability.
Who launched the scheme and when?
The Samudra Sathi Scheme was launched by Finance Minister Chandrima Bhattacharya on February 8, 2024, during the budget presentation.
What are the benefits of the scheme?
Registered fishermen will receive ₹5000 per month for two months during the fishing ban period.
Who is eligible to apply?
Registered fishermen residing in East Midnapore, North 24-Parganas, and South 24-Parganas districts are eligible.
How many beneficiaries are expected?
Approximately 2 lakh fishermen from the eligible districts will benefit from this scheme.