Maharashtra Sanitary Napkin Scheme 2022 is soon going to be launched by the state government. Under Maharashtra Sanitary Pad Yojana, the state govt. will provide 10 sanitary napkins at a nominal cost i.e only Rs. 1. These sanitary pads will ensure menstrual hygiene among girls and women across the state. In this article, we will tell you about the complete details of Maharashtra Sanitary Napkins Scheme.
Maharashtra Sanitary Napkin Scheme 2022
Maharashtra government on 28 May 2022 announced a scheme under which women in the BPL category and those part of self help groups (SHGs) will be provided 10 sanitary napkins at Rs. 1. The order regarding Maharashtra Sanitary Napkin Scheme, which was issued by state Rural Development Department Minister, will be implemented from 15 August 2022. The new Maharashtra Sanitary Pads Scheme will benefit around 60 lakh women in rural areas.
The decision to start Maharashtra Sanitary Napkins Scheme was taken to mark World Menstrual Hygiene Day. Rural Development Dept. minister said “The decision will help rural women below the poverty line (BPL). At present, girls below the age of 19 can avail six sanitary napkins at Rs. 6. But now all women in the BPL segment will be benefited. A machine for disposal of sanitary napkins will be set up in each village”. The implementation of the Maharashtra Sanitary Pad Scheme will cost the state government Rs. 200 crore per annum.
Objectives of Maharashtra Sanitary Napkins Scheme
The state govt. has started this Maharashtra Sanitary Napkin Scheme for the following reasons:-
- Spreading awareness about menstrual hygiene
- Promotion of sanitary napkins distribution among women.
- Improvement in access and usage of high quality sanitary napkins to adolescent girls in rural areas.
- Safe disposal of sanitary pads in an environmentally friendly manner.
- With the utilization of sanitary napkins, women could be prevented from various menstrual hygiene related diseases.
Salient Features of Maharashtra Sanitary Pad Yojana
The important features and highlights of this Menstrual Hygiene Scheme (MHS) Scheme are as follows:-
- Under Maharashtra Sanitary Napkin Scheme 2022, govt. will provide 10 sanitary pads to the beneficiary women.
- All women who are living below poverty line (BPL category) will be benefited along with those rural women who are a part of self help groups (SHGs).
- Each beneficiary will get ten sanitary pads at just Rs. 1 under Maharashtra Sanitary Napkin Scheme.
- A machine for disposal of sanitary napkins will also be set up in each village.
- Maharashtra govt. will spend Rs. 200 crore every year on Maharashtra Sanitary Pads Scheme.
- In Maharashtra Menstrual Hygiene Scheme (MHS), govt. will distribute sanitary napkins and spread hygiene message among women.
NFHS Report 2015-16
As per Nation Family Health Survey report (2015-16), only 55% women (15-45 years) are using hygiene protection methods during their menstrual periods. In urban areas, situation is slightly better in comparison to rural areas. Around 78% of women in urban areas and 50% of women in rural areas uses sanitary napkins, locally prepared pads and tampons as hygiene methods.
As per the survey reports, 45% women between 15 to 24 years in the state are at higher risk of getting exposed to menstrual hygiene related diseases. Such women can be exposed to fungal infection, urinary tract infection, reproductive tract infection and other health diseases. So to prevent women from menstrual related diseases, CM Uddhav Thackeray led state govt. has announced Maharashtra Sanitary Pads Scheme.