Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has given the gift of Unique 16 digit Virtual Identity (VID) Number to all the residents. Now, people will not have to disclose their 12 digit Biometric Identification Number / Aadhaar Number anywhere. They can just generate / retrieve VID on the UIDAI Portal and can use it anywhere. Virtual ID will replace the Aadhaar Number for Authentication and KYC purposes. This UIDAI Aadhaar Service will ensure privacy and security of Aadhaar Database.
16 Digit Virtual ID will act as a security layer in Aadhaar Database and will fulfill the privacy concerns of the people. People can use this Aadhar Service in New SIM Purchase, SIM Replacement, Banking Facilities, Passport etc. as a replacement to Biometric ID.
Latest Update (1 July 2018) – Now UIDAI Aadhaar Virtual ID (16 Digit VID) Mandatory for KYC for Security Concerns – View Details
16 digit VID is revocable and expires after a limited time period. VID Virtual ID will limit the storage and collection of personal and demographic data of all the Aadhaar Holders. VID is going to be compulsory and will replace Aadhaar Number from 1 June 2018.
How to Generate 16 Digit Virtual ID Number
The complete procedure to generate / retrieve Virtual ID has been specified below:-
- Firstly visit the official website of Unique Identification Authority of India at uidai.gov.in
- On the homepage, click at the “Virtual ID (VID) Generator” link under the “Aadhaar Services” section.
- Direct Link – All the candidates can directly click the link to generate VID – Generate / Retrieve Virtual ID
- The VID Generation Page will appear as follows:-
- Here candidates have to enter the “Aadhaar Number” and “Security Code” and then click at the “Send OTP” button to get an OTP on the Registered Mobile Number.
- Then candidates can enter their One time Password (OTP) and then click at the “Generate VID” or “Retrieve VID” and click at “Submit” button.
- Finally, Generated 16 digit VID will be sent on the Registered Mobile Number of the Resident.
Virtual ID is a temporary 16 Digit Random Number which gives limited information like Name, Photograph and Address to other authorized agencies.
Virtual ID Features
All the residents are allowed to generate any number of Virtual ID’s. Thee previous VID will be auto-cancelled on the generation of new VID. This is an alternative option for Authentication and KYC Services which remains valid for a specific amount of time or till the time the user changes it.
This Virtual ID is similar in usage to the Aadhaar Number and the agencies can not utilize the VID’s for de-duplication. This new VID Number System will ensure security and privacy of the Aadhaar Card Holders. Till date, UIDAI has issued 119 crore Aadhaar Card across the country whose security and privacy needs to be maintained.