Kerala Varnam Scheme 2024 Application Form PDF is available to download at official website of Social Justice Department at sjd.kerala.gov.in. In this scheme, the Kerala govt. will provide financial assistance upto Rs. 24000 p.a to Transgender students pursuing Degree/Diploma/ PG courses through distance education. The state cabinet has given approval for Varnam Scheme aiming at the welfare of TG students pursuing distance education courses. In this article, we will tell you about how transgender students can apply online for this scheme, eligibility criteria and complete details.
What is Kerala Varnam Scheme 2024
Social Justice Department under Government of Kerala is the frontrunner in implementing various welfare programmes for the upliftment and mainstreaming of Transgender persons. For ensuring inclusivity of such target population, the Department has successfully launched key initiatives under ‘Mazhavillu’ umbrella scheme. There are several Transgender students who are not able to study regular courses in colleges but instead pursue Degree/Post Graduate courses via distance education. Due to their deprived financial conditions they are unable to meet the expenses incurred for payment of Registration fee, Tuition fee, Exam fee and study materials, etc.
For supporting such students the Department has launched a scheme known as “Varnam” which provides financial assistance to Transgender students pursuing Degree/Diploma/ PG courses through distance education. A maximum amount of Rs. 24,000/- will be provided annually. For students pursuing PG courses the assistance will be provided for 2 years and for Under Graduate students the assistance will be given for 3 years.
Aims & Objectives of Varnam Scheme in Kerala
- Majority of the transgender persons are either dropouts or discontinue education in early stages and due to the stigma the family members also disown them. Since they are unable to find a sustainable livelihood, they suffer financially. This scheme will support the transgender students to complete their education successfully and earn a decent living and make them financially independent.
- With the help of this distance education scheme, the transgender students will be able to pursue their desired courses.
- The Transgender persons who are eligible for higher studies can complete their education and secure a decent job to lead a dignified life. This will encourage them to be self-sufficient and will open up a world of opportunities for such target population.
Kerala Varnam Scheme Application Form PDF
Below is the complete process to download Varnam application form PDF through online mode:-
Step 1: Firstly visit the official website at http://sjd.kerala.gov.in/. The Kerala Social Justice Department homepage will appear as shown here.
Step 2: All the new users can click at the “Scheme” tab present in the main menu or directly click at http://sjd.kerala.gov.in/schemes.php. The new page comprising of list of Kerala govt. schemes will open.
Step 3: Click at the “Varnam Scheme for TG students pursuing distance education courses” link to open the scheme details page. At this page, go to the “Documents” section and click at the “Application Forms – Varnam – Financial aid for TG students pursuing distance education” link.
Step 4: The Kerala Varnam Scheme application form PDF will open as below which can be easily downloaded through online mode.
Step 5: All the applicants can download this scheme form in PDF format. Then applicants will have to enter their necessary details accurately in this Kerala Varnam Scheme application form and submit it to the concerned authorities.
Upon subsequent verification of filled in application form along with documents, the concerned officer will approve your form. All the applicant transgender students pursuing distance education courses will then start getting financial aid.
Guidelines for Kerala Varnam Scheme 2024
- The Application forms have to be filled completely. Incomplete applications will be rejected.
- Applicant has to mention type of course and the name of University/Study centre in which the student is pursuing the course.
- Copy of Transgender Identity card / self-declaration statement mentioning that the applicant is a Transgender person.
- Copy of address proof (Aadhar/ Voter’s ID card).
- Copy of previous semester examination hall ticket.
- Transgender students pursuing courses from Open universities, Distance education or Private registration are eligible to apply.
- The copy of bills/vouchers/receipts of registration fee, tuition fee, study materials, examination fees have to be duly certified by District Social Justice Officers.
- The application form along with supporting documents has to be submitted through District Social Justice Offices concerned.
List of Documents Required for Varnam Scheme in Kerala
Here is the complete list of documents which are required to be submitted with the application form by transgender students pursuing distance education courses to get financial assistance under Varnam Scheme:-
- Transgender ID Card (Scanned Copy)
- Aadhaar Card or Voter Card as Address Proof (Scanned Copy)
- Hall Ticket of Last Semester examination (Scanned Copy)
- Certificate of course from Open University, Distance education
The duly filled application form along with supporting documents has to be submitted through District Social Justice Officers concerned.
Kerala Varnam Scheme List
The direct link to check the name in the Kerala Varnam Scheme List of beneficiaries is given here – http://sjd.kerala.gov.in/scheme-info.php?scheme_id=MTc1c1Y4dXFSI3Z5
At this page, go to the “Target Group” section and click at the “Beneficiary Details” link in front of “Transgenders“. In the new window, select the financial year and district name to open the complete list of Varnam beneficiaries.
People can even check the recent govt. order regarding Varnam Scheme for TG students pursuing distance education courses – http://sjd.kerala.gov.in/DOCUMENTS/Order_new/GOs/35464.pdf
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
Here are the some of the most frequently asked questions by the people about the Varnam Scheme in Kerala:-
What is Varnam Scheme
To provide financial assistance to transgender students pursuing distance education courses, Varnam Scheme has been launched.
From where can one download Varnam application form online
People can now download the Kerala Varnam application form at the sjd.kerala.gov.in through online mode.
I am transgender student pursuing degree course from distance education, am i eligible
Yes. Transgender students pursuing Degree/Diploma/ PG courses through distance education are eligible.
What is the maximum financial aid which a TG student can get in a year
For more details, visit the official website of Social Justice Department of Kerala at http://sjd.kerala.gov.in/