Odisha government has launched Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana 2023 to provide universal health insurance coverage. In this BSKY scheme, the state govt. will lay special emphasis on the health protection of economically vulnerable families. Orrisa govt. will provide Rs. 5 lakh per family per annum as healthcare assistance for secondary and tertiary procedures of treatment. This cashless treatment will benefit 96 lakh families (3.5 crore people) at all govt. and private empanelled hospitals.
All the citizens visiting any state government health institution from district to sub center level will be provided all health service absolutely free of cost. The health insurance cover to each member is Rs. 5 lakh. An additional amount of Rs. 5 lakh would be given to the women beneficiaries. CM Naveen Patnaik had launched Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana (BSKY) on 15 August 2018.
Latest Update on Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana
Over 6 lakh people belonging to poor families in Odisha availed of cashless and free treatment in several private hospitals under the state government’s health scheme, Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana (BSKY), in 2022. As many as 6.31 lakh poor people, having either the BSKY smart card or the PDS card, were provided high-quality and free treatment in different speciality hospitals in the private sector from January 1 to December 25 this year. The state government has paid around Rs 1,389 crore to the empanelled private sector hospitals towards free treatment of the poor patients.
The patients who get treatment under BSKY were from all 30 districts of Odisha. These patients were also provided hand-holding support by the Swasthya Mitras’ engaged by the Odisha government in these hospitals. Odisha govt. had introduced Swasthya Mitra’ service to guide and assist BSKY beneficiaries at empanelled hospitals for treatment. The problems and grievances relating to the use of cards, cashless treatment and other matters were immediately attended to and resolved in a time-bound manner keeping in view the emergency requirement of the patients.
Odisha is one of the few states that have not accepted the Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (AB-PMJAY), the Central government’s health coverage scheme for the poor. Ever since Ayushman Bharat was launched in September 2018, Odisha has not implemented it, claiming that its own scheme is superior.
Odisha Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana 2023 Details
In this article, we will tell you about the complete details of the Odisha Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana 2023:-
BSKY Smart Health Card Scheme
Odisha government began the distribution of smart health cards under the Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana (BSKY) to its beneficiaries. Earlier during Independence Day celebrations in Bhubaneswar, CM Naveen Patnaik had announced that smart health cards would be given to 3.5 crore people in the state under BSKY.
These smart health cards were distributed to people during a programme at Sanskruti Bhawan in Malkangiri district on 20 August 2021. Sukri Dhangidi Majhi, a woman from the Bona tribe, was the first recipient of the smart health card from the chief minister at the event.
As many as 96 lakh households and 3.5 crore BSKY beneficiaries will get the smart health card in Odisha. In Malkangiri district alone, 1.55 lakh families will be benefited. With effect from 1 September 2021, people will be able to access healthcare facilities at government and private hospitals using these cards. Odisha is the first state in the country to provide such a facility in the health sector. The cards will be given to beneficiaries phase-wise. CM mentioned that “It’s a historic, paradigm shift in the system of healthcare services in India, where a patient will get the best healthcare without any expense.”
BSKY Smart Healthcare Scheme to Minimize Pressure on Families
CM mentioned, “Health is wealth. If anyone in the family falls sick, we get worried about the expenses that we will have to bear at hospitals towards treatment. For this, people sometimes have to sell their property or opt for a loan. Some may even stop the education of their children midway to collect funds for treatment. This smart health card will help minimise additional pressure on households to bear treatment costs at hospitals, so that people can spend their savings on the education of their children and other household work.
Smart Health Cards Benefits – Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana
According to the Odisha government, under BSKY Smart Health Card Scheme, a person can simply go to a hospital with their card and avail all the required treatments without any hassle. The beneficiaries of BSKY can avail treatment at all govt. hospitals and 208 private empanelled hospitals. The smart cards will help them to avail the facilities, the chief minister said. Family members can avail of benefits up to Rs 5 lakh per annum under the scheme. However, for women members of the family, the limit is Rs 10 lakh.
Latest Update for Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana 2.0 (New Guidelines from 1 Sept 2021)
Odisha government has decided to provide new Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana (BSKY) smart health cards to all 96 lakh families under the national and the State food security schemes. Odisha govt. BSKY Smart health card to all NFSA/ SFSA beneficiaries. Till the BSKY card is distributed, the family can use their NFSA/ SFSA cards to avail benefits, w.e.f., 01.09.2021.
The government will kick off the new Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana in a phased manner. It will be launched in Malkangiri, Sundargarh, Gajapati, Bolangir and Mayurbhanj districts in the first phase after the announcement of the same on 15 August, and subsequently cover all districts by November 2021, the State Health & Family Welfare Department said in a letter.
From August 15, the scheme will be expanded to cover more beneficiaries and more hospitals. There will be changes in eligibility criteria and reputed private hospitals in the major cities outside the State will be empanelled under BSKY and brought to the online BSKY platform.
Check the Revised Eligibility Criteria for BSKY
- BSKY Smart health card to all NFSA/ SFSA beneficiaries
- Till the BSKY card is distributed, the family can use their NFSA/ SFSA cards to avail benefits, w.e.f., 01.09.2021
- As per the H&FW department, an additional 20,80,328 lakh families will be covered and issued the BSKY card.
How to avail the BSKY Benefits
- Government health facilities: As per the existing system. No document is required for cashless healthcare service.
- Empanelled private hospitals: Beneficiary has to produce BSKY Smart Health Card OR NFSA card OR SFSA card for availing cashless care upto an annual financial limit, w.e.f., 01.09.2021.
Components of Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana
To achieve its objective of providing health protection to economically weaker sections, the BSKY has two components:-
- Free health services for all (irrespective of income, status or residence) in all State Government health care facilities starting from Sub center level up to District Head Quarter Hospital level.
- Additional facility of free healthcare beyond District Headquarters hospital level, for over 96 lakh economically vulnerable families in the State, who are provided Annual Health coverage of Rs. 5 lakh per family and Rs 10 lakh for the women members of the family.
Eligibility Criteria for BSKY Scheme in Odisha
Here is the complete eligibility criteria for Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana in Odisha:-
- All families are eligible for free health care services at Government health care Institutions up to District Head Quarter Hospital level.
- For additional facility of free healthcare beyond District Headquarters hospital level, through annual health coverage of Rs 5 lakh per annum per family and Rs 10 lakh per annum for women members of the family, all currently enrolled Biju Krushak Kalyan Yojana card holders, Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana card holders, BPL card holders and Anatodaya Anna Yojana (AAY) card holders and families with annual income below Rs. 50,000/- in rural areas and below Rs. 60,000/- in urban areas are eligible.
Benefits under Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana
A) All health services are free of cost, including free drugs, free diagnostics, free dialysis, free Cancer chemotherapy, free OT, free I.C.U, free in-patient admission etc., in all government health institutions up to District Head Quarters Hospital level, for all persons.
B) Families having BKKY card, RSBY card, BPL card, or AAY card or annual income of Rs 50,000/- in rural and Rs. 60,000/- in urban areas can avail cashless treatment at all Government Hospitals and 208 empanelled Private Hospitals.
In which Hospitals can BSKY Beneficiaries Get Free Treatment
1) Under universal health coverage free health care to all in Public Health Care Institutions from Subcentre to District Head Quarters Hospitals.
2) BKKY, RSBY, BPL, AAY card holders and low income certificate holders can avail additional facility of cashless treatment beyond District Headquarters Hospital level, at all public health care facilities and 208 empanelled private health care institutions.
Further, scheme details and list of empanelled hospitals can also be seen on the websites: health.odisha.gov.in and
Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana Apply Online Process
All enrolled families covered under BKKY Stream I & II, RSBY, BPL and Anatodaya Anna Yojana (AAY) are auto-enrolled under this scheme. Those families who have low income but do not have any of these cards can get benefit under BSKY by obtaining income certificate for annual income below Rs. 50,000/- in rural areas and below Rs. 60,000/- in urban areas.
List of Documents Required for BSKY Scheme Registration
For getting Rs. 5 lakh health coverage per annum per family and Rs. 10 lakh health coverage per annum for women members of the family, the existing Biju Krushak Kalyan Yojana (Stream I & II) or Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana or BPL or AAY cards have to be produced at the empanelled hospital.
For low income families who do not have these cards, valid income certificate (annual income below Rs. 50,000/- in rural areas and below Rs. 60,000/- in urban areas) is to be produced at the empanelled hospital, for availing cashless treatment.
Swasthya Mitras to facilitate BSKY Scheme Beneficiaries At Point of Service
To extend the outreach of BSKY, the state govt. has initiated measures for enrollment of more hospitals under the Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana (BSKY). The State Health Society is holding negotiations with various hospitals. The patients are finding it difficult to access the benefits of Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana (BSKY) in private hospitals. So the Swasthya Mitras are deployed at help desk in each empanelled hospital to facilitate the beneficiaries.
Swasthya Mitra Service is going to provide assistance to BSKY beneficiaries during their visits to the empanelled hospitals for treatment. This decision is taken at the meeting of State Health Assurance Society. Now each empanelled private hospitals would possess one help desk where Swasthya Mitras will guide and assist BSKY card holders who comes to avail medical facilities.
Need for Deployment of Swasthya Mitras in Odisha
Approx. 96 lakh families of Odisha have been covered under BSKY Scheme who are entitled to get free medical treatment in both private and govt. hospitals. The state govt. has enrolled around 208 private hospitals in Odisha and around 20 super specialty hospitals outside the state. In addition to this, govt. has also decided to enroll more hospitals outside Odisha to provide better healthcare facilities under BSKY to Odia people living in other states.
Previously, the state govt. was taking several steps for empanelment of all state and central govt. hospitals outside Odisha under BSKY for free treatment of Odia people. Health dept. will properly implement proposed Swasthya Mitra Scheme to provide quality service to BSKY beneficiaries with a provision of 3rd party audit.
Odisha govt. has included over 44 lakh beneficiaries of Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana (RSBY) into Biju Krushak Kalyan Yojana (BKKY). This move was taken after the validity of RSBY Scheme launched by the central govt. expires earlier. All the beneficiaries have been advise to exchange their old RSBY cards with the new BSKY ones.
Odisha Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana Launch – Background
The state govt. had launched 3 new schemes Universal Health Coverage Scheme, Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana & Drop Back Assistance on 15 August 2018. The important features and highlights of this Health Insurance Scheme are as follows:-
- Universal Health Coverage (UHC) – Under this UHC Scheme, any citizen who make visit to any government Health Institution from District to Sub-Center level will get all health services free to cost. This includes waiver of all users fees at public health facilities upto district headquarter hospitals. Govt provides free healthcare services at all public health facilities.
- Assistance under Biju Swasthya Kalyana Yojana – Govt. will provide Rs. 5 lakh per family per annum for all Secondary and Tertiary Cashless Health Care Assistance. Women beneficiaries can get health cover upto Rs. 10 lakh. This scheme will benefit 3.5 crore people (96 lakh families) at any govt. and private empanelled hospitals.
- Drop Back Assistance – Under this Drop-back for Pregnant Women & Sick Infants, govt. will provide Rs. 500 to all pregnant women and infant who visit all Public Health Facilities. This drop-back assistance will help citizens to take transport back home after delivery / treatment in hospitals.
All beneficiaries currently enrolled under the Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana (RSBY), Biju Krushak Kalyan Yojana (BKKY), as well as other low-income families, are covered under the BSKY.
Official Notification for Odisha BSKY Scheme
All the 3 initiatives were launched by the State govt. from 15 August 2018. Out of the total 3.5 crore beneficiaries, there are total number of 1.5 crore women beneficiaries. The official notification for Odisha BSKY Scheme is shown below:-
This health protection cover will be given in all public health facilities and 208 empanelled private hospitals, check details at http://nhmodisha.gov.in/frmrbsyostfbkky.aspx
Odisha BSKY Scheme Packages
A total of 4036 packages have been finalized under BSKY. Package rates have been rationalised keeping current cost of treatment in view. Most rates are above CGHS package rates. This aims at better acceptance of beneficiaries by the empanelled hospitals & attract more numbers of hospitals for empanelment under BSKY.
Claim Settlement Process of Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana
Claim settlement under RSBY & BKKY is undertaken through Insurance Companies. Under OSTF claim settlement is currently processed in manual mode and it is proposed to undertake online settlement of claims under OSTF in the near future.
Odisha New Guidelines for Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana
The modified guidelines for BSKY scheme are hereby stated as follows:-
- Now people can avail treatment upto Rs. 3 lakh in case of treatment of cancer, heart and kidney diseases which was previously Rs. 1 lakh.
- Odias who are living outside Odisha can now also avail the benefits of BSKY scheme anywhere across the country.
- Moreover, the Odisha citizens who wish to seek the benefits the scheme outside the State will also be able to do so. For this, all the state & central govt. hospitals needs to be empanelled under BSKY scheme.
- Around 4,036 medical packages are included under the Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana (BSKY) whereas the Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PMJAY) covers only 1,343 packages.
- All the premier hospitals such as Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai, CMC Vellore, Narayana Hrudalaya have been included in the BSKY scheme.
- Any patient who will be referred to any hospital outside the state will also get a conveyance charge at the rate of Rs. 2,000. This amount will be transferred directly to the bank account of the beneficiaries.
- Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana beneficiary families need not pay any premium amount as the state govt. will pay the full premium on the behalf of beneficiary family.
- Moreover, treatment of all the pre-existing diseases would also be covered under the Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana.
Besides all the govt. hospitals within the state, BSKY will initially cover around 208 private hospitals. Package rates have also been revised upwards to attract more hospitals to be covered under the scheme.
Odisha BSKY Scheme Helpline Number
Any person can raise any query or complaint regarding Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana or RSBY with toll free number 155369 available from 6 AM to 10 PM.
For complete details on Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana, click the link – http://www.nrhmorissa.gov.in/writereaddata/Upload/Documents/BSKY.pdf
Odisha Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana Earlier Updates
Here are the latest updates about Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana (decisions taken by CM Naveen Patnaik led govt.):-
Odisha Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana Now in All Govt. Medical Colleges
Odisha govt. has announced extension of free health services under Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana. Now healthcare services under BSKY scheme would remain available in all Government Medical College Hospitals. All the patients whether from above poverty line (APL) or below poverty line (BPL) category would be able to avail health services and blood bank facility free of cost. Earlier under Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana in Odisha, the free treatment facilities for all were available from sub-centres at village level up to the district headquarters hospital level.
The state govt. of Odisha had launched BSKY scheme on 15 August 2018 which had received an overwhelming response with around 2.25 crore instance of free healthcare taken by the people. Under Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana, govt. provides cashless healthcare facility to all the people and even there is no requirement of any income, residence or any document. By taking this decision to include all govt. medical colleges in BSKY Scheme, govt. creates another milestone towards achieving the vision of Universal Health Coverage (UHC) for the people.
Under BSKY Scheme, govt. will provide free services which would cover all procedures in all government health facilities. This includes in-patient beds, surgeries, operation theatre (OT) facility, ICU facility without any charge. To successfully implement this decision of inclusion of govt. medical colleges, the state govt. has also made an additional provision in state budget.
Odisha Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana (BSKY) Assistance for Women Raised to Rs. 10 Lakh
Odisha Govt. has raised Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana (BSKY) assistance for women to Rs. 10 lakh (previously Rs. 7 lakh) for secondary and tertiary treatment procedures. BSKY Scheme of Odisha is going to benefit around 3.5 crore people out of which 1.5 crore are women beneficiaries. This universal health insurance scheme is a cashless treatment scheme for all beneficiaries at all govt. and private empanelled hospitals.
The limit of treatment cost is Rs. 5 lakh for each citizen but for women beneficiaries, an additional amount of Rs. 5 lakh would be given. Previously, annual income limit for cancer, heart, and kidney was raised to Rs. 3 lakh from Rs. 1 lakh. All the people can check the complete details and new guidelines for Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana to avail cashless treatment.
Odisha Biju Swasthya Kalyana Yojana List of Beneficiaries
Here is the new Odisha Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana (BSKY) List of beneficiaries:-
- Govt. will provide Rs. 5 lakh per family per annum for all Secondary and Tertiary Cashless Health Care Assistance. Women beneficiaries will get health cover upto Rs. 10 lakh (earlier Rs. 7 lakh).
- This scheme will benefit 3.5 crore people (96 lakh families) at any govt. and private empanelled hospitals. Around 1.5 crore women beneficiaries to be benefited with this raised assistance amount of Rs. 10 lakh
- Biju Krushak Kalyan Yojana card holders, Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana card holders, BPL card holders and Anatodaya Anna Yojana (AAY) card holders are eligible. All such beneficiaries name is included in Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana List of beneficiaries.
- All the state citizens either Above poverty Line (APL) or Below Poverty Line (BPL) category are covered. This cashless healthcare facility is being provided to all the people and even there is no requirement of any income, residence or any document.
- Annual Income Limit for cancer, heart, and kidney is now Rs. 3 lakh (earlier Rs. 1 lakh).
- Rs. 2,000 conveyance charge per patient in case of referral hospital outside Odisha.
- Beneficiary families are not required to pay any premium amount as the Odisha govt. will pay the full premium on behalf of the beneficiary family.
- Free Healthcare services under BSKY Scheme are available in all Government Medical College Hospitals across Odisha.
- Odisha citizens can also take the BSKY scheme benefits outside the state. For this, all the state & central govt. hospitals needs to be empanelled under BSKY scheme.
- Approx. 4,036 medical packages are included under the Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana (BSKY) whereas PM Jan Arogya Yojana (PMJAY) covers only 1,343 packages.
- Treatment of all the pre-existing diseases would be covered under Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana. Swasthya Mitras are present at each one of the empanelled hospitals to assist people in getting treatment.
- This health protection cover will be given by all premier hospitals across India. Odias who are living outside Odisha can now also avail the benefits of BSKY scheme anywhere across the country.
Patients belonging to either APL or BPL category can also avail free blood bank facility free of cost. Under BSKY Scheme, Odisha govt. is going to provide free services which would cover all procedures in all government health facilities. This includes in-patient beds, surgeries, operation theatre (OT) facility, ICU facility without any charge. BSKY also promises free services in government hospitals up to district-level and Drop Back Assistance for pregnant women and infants.