UP state govt. is going to launch Contract Farming Scheme for farmers. Subsequently, this scheme will help in achieving the Center’s objective of Doubling Farmers Income by 2022. Accordingly in this scheme, private agro processing & agro processing will make agreement (contract) with the farmers for purchase of their agri-commodities in specified quantities on the basis of mutual agreement of terms. For this reason, UP govt. will also amend APMC Act to provide alternative choice to the farmers to boost investment in this farming sector.
This farming scheme will provide help to the farmers to get better price of their production. In addition to this, it will also minimize post harvest losses to a great extent. The involvement of state in this type of farming will help farmers in a substantial manner.
Details of Contract Farming Scheme for Doubling Farmers Income
The important features and highlights of this farming scheme are as follows:-
- Contract farming Scheme is a key driver in doubling income of farmers.
- Subsequently, the state govt. will provide an assured market and better prices to farmers.
- Through this scheme consumers will get goods at relatively low price.
- UP govt. will bring the contract farming law to protect farmers from changing prices of perishable items.
- This law will ensure better price of agricultural and horticulture products to the farmers.
- Accordingly, farmers will get advance agreements and ensured supply for companies to increase investment.
- Henceforth, Agricultural Produce Marketing Commodities (APMC) Act will allow privatization, opening and access to private mandis and beginning of e-trading to increase farmer’s income.
UP state govt. is going to amend APMC Act as per the lines of Model Act. Subsequently, this act will give special emphasis on fruits and vegetables. As per the data of NITI Aayog (2011-12), approx. 23.2% of the total families of farmers in UP are below the poverty line. So to encourage Contract farming and to double the farmers income in the state by the financial year 2022, the state govt. has launched this scheme.