Universal Service Obligation Fund (USOF) Scheme: Central government has launched USOF Scheme 2022 for providing 4G mobile services in uncovered villages of aspirational districts. Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) meeting, chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, has given its approval for provisioning of mobile services in uncovered villages of aspirational districts across 5 states of Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Maharashtra & Odisha. In this article, we will tell you about the complete details of the USOF Scheme.
USOF Scheme 2022– Universal Service Obligation Fund
The USOF Scheme envisages to provide 4G based mobile services in the 7,287 uncovered villages of 44 aspirational districts across five states of Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Maharashtra & Odisha at an estimated cost of implementation about Rs. 6,466 crore including operational expenses for 5 years. The project would be funded by Universal Service Obligation Fund (USOF). The project will be completed within 18 months after the signing of the Agreement and likely to be completed by November 23.
Awarding of Work under USOF Scheme
The work related to provision of 4G mobile services in identified uncovered villages will be awarded through open competitive bidding process as per extant USOF procedures.
The present proposal for provisioning of mobile services in the remote & difficult uncovered areas of Aspirational Districts across five States of Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Maharashtra & Odisha will enhance digital connectivity useful for self-reliance, facilitate learning, dissemination of information and knowledge, skill upgradation and development, disaster management, e-Governance initiatives, establishment of enterprises & e-commerce facilities, provision of adequate support to educational institutes for knowledge sharing & availability of job opportunity and fulfilling the vision of Digital India promoting domestic manufacturing and fulfilling the objectives of Atmanirbhar Bharat etc.
Benefits of USOF Scheme
- Will increase availability of job opportunities
- Will promote domestic manufacturing
- Will provide adequate support to educational institutions
- Will fulfill the vision of Digital India and enhance digital connectivity
Salient Features of USOF Scheme
- Provide widespread and non-discriminatory access to quality ICT services at affordable prices to people in rural and remote areas.
- Provide an effective and powerful linkage to the hinterland thereby mainstreaming the population of rural and remote parts of the country.
- Ensure that universal services are provided in an economically efficient manner.
- Ensure that by developing hitherto unconnected areas, the benefits of inclusive growth are reaped by our nation, bringing in its wake rapid socio-economic development and improved standards of living.
Source / Reference Link: http://www.usof.gov.in/usof-cms/home.jsp