Central govt. has launched University Grants Commission (UGC) Scheme of Paramarsh to mentor National Accreditation and Assessment Council (NAAC) Accreditation Aspirant Institutions to promote quality assurance in higher education. This scheme will bring a shift in concept to mentor institutions by another well performing institution to upgrade their academic performance.
With this UGC Paramarsh Scheme 2019, institutions would be enabled to get accredited by focusing in the area of curricular aspects, teaching-learning & evaluation, research, innovation, institutional values & practices etc.
This scheme will have a major impact in addressing a national challenge to improve the quality of Higher Education in India.
UGC Paramarsh Scheme for HEIs in India
Higher education institutions (HEIs) which fails to meet the quality standards of NAAC will now get mentorship from top universities and colleges under UGC Paramarsh Scheme. In the 1st phase, around 71 universities and 391 colleges with NAAC score of 3.26 and above will provide mentorship to 5 colleges each. To improve the quality and standards of education, UGC has launched 2 new scheme – Paramarsh and Deeksharambh schemes.
UGC Paramarsh Scheme would be operationalized through “Hub & Spoke” model. The mentor institution called “Hub” is centralized and will guide Mentee institution through secondary branches the “Spoke” through the services provided to the mentee for self improvement. This scheme will allow centralized control over operational efficiency, resource utilization to get overall development of mentee institutions.
Benefits of UGC Paramarsh scheme
The HEIs can avail the following benefits through this paramarsh scheme of UGC:-
- Enhancement of overall quality of the Mentee Institutions and its overall profile. This would be done through improved quality of research, teaching and learning methodologies.
- Mentee Institution will have increased exposure and speedier adaptation to best practices.
- UGC Paramarsh Scheme is going to facilitate sharing of knowledge, information and opportunities for research collaboration and faculty development in Mentee Institutions.
- This scheme will improve the global ranking of the Indian higher education institutions. This scheme will target 1000 HEIs to mentor with specific focus on quality as enumerated in UGC “Quality Mandate”.
- This scheme will also benefit 3.6 crore students who are enrolling to Indian Higher Education system.
A financial assistance would also be provided to mentoring institutions as well as an option to appoint expert, who can be paid fellowship amount of Rs. 31,000 per month.Content Source / Reference Link: https://www.indiatoday.in/education-today/news/story/hrd-minister-launches-ugc-scheme-paramarsh-quality-higher-education-divd-1571153-2019-07-19 SAVE AS PDF