Tamilnadu govt. has launched TN Free Bicycle Scheme 2018-19 for students in govt. / govt. aided schools and Industrial Training Institutes (ITIs). Tamil Nadu CM Edappadi K. Palaniswami has launched Free Bicycle Scheme on 24 August 2018 for students studying in Class 11th & 12th in govt. and aided students and ITI students. This free cycle scheme is going to benefit 5.06 lakh boys and 6.49 lakh girls of govt. / govt. aided schools and 18,506 boys and 4,394 girl students of ITI.
TN govt. has been sponsoring this scheme for Class 11th and 12th students in govt. and aided schools. This scheme is expected to cost around Rs. 437.86 crore to the state exchequer. Under this scheme, the state govt. will provide bicycles to a total number of 11.78 lakh students.
Late AIADMK supremo Jayalalithaa had introduced the scheme during the 2001-02 academic year to benefit students of SC/ ST category and was later expanded.
Tamilnadu Free Bicycle Scheme 2018-19 for Govt. School & ITI Students
The important features and highlights of Tamilnadu Government Free Bicycle Scheme 2018-19 are as follows:-
- This scheme is only for Class 11th & 12th govt. / govt. aided school students and students of ITIs in the state.
- This scheme is going to benefit 5,06,132 lakh boys and 6,49,758 lakh girls of govt. / govt. aided schools. Along with govt. school students, 18,506 boys and 4,394 girls of Industrial Training Institutes in the current academic year will also get benefited.
- Free Bicycle Scheme will benefit a total number of 11,78,790 students of govt / govt. aided and ITIs. A total amount of 437.86 cr will be spent on this programme.
- To mark the official launch of Free Bicycle Scheme 2018-19, CM gave bicycles to 9 students as a token of gesture at a function at Chennai Secretariat.
- Free Bicycle Scheme will benefit rural students, boost girls education, reduce dropout rates and will assist students in hassle free travel.
All the bicycles would be provided absolutely free of cost to students after they pass class 10th (Matric). For the current session 2018-19, all the students who have taken admissions in Class 11th and 12th or in any ITI can avail the benefits of this TN Free Bicycle Scheme 2018-19.
The main aim of Free Bicycle Scheme is to reduce in-transport expenses of students and to reduce their drop-out rates. All the students coming from deep rural pockets will be immensely benefited and will create educational opportunities for them.