Punjab government has launched a mega health insurance scheme namely Mahatma Gandhi Sarbat Sehat Bima Yojana (MGSSBY). In this scheme, the state govt. has merged Ayushman Bharat or Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PMJAY) with its own Sarbat Sehat Bima Yojana (SSBY). This scheme will provide cashless treatment upto Rs. 5 lakh in all public and empanelled private hospitals.
The central govt’s flagship PMJAY scheme was launched in September 2018 by PM Modi and has been kept on hold so far by Punjab government. CM Captain Amarinder Singh has launched MGSSBY scheme on 75th anniversary of former PM Rajiv Gandhi.
Around 46 lakh families (76% of Punjab population) would be covered under this MGSSBY scheme which makes its 1st state to offer medical insurance to such a large proportion of population.
Punjab Mahatma Gandhi Sarbat Sehat Bima Yojana 2019
As per the Socio Economic and Caste Census (SECC) 2011 data, Ayushman Bharat or PMJAY would have covered 14.86 lakh families in Punjab. Punjab govt. has started MGSSBY to cover 31 lakh more families taking total beneficiary count to around 46 lakh families. The important features and highlights of Mahatma Gandhi Sarbat Sehat Bima Yojana are as follows:-
- Insurance Coverage – Just like PM Jan Arogya Yojana, MGSSBY scheme will also provide cashless health insurance coverage of Rs. 5 lakh per annum.
- Beneficiaries – There are 46 lakh beneficiaries of Mahatma Gandhi Sarbat Sehat Bima Yojana. To mark the official launch of scheme, CM has handed over e-cards to 11 people from Mohali district.
- Premium Cost Sharing – For the 14.86 lakh beneficiaries (as in SECC 2011 data), central and state govt. will bear premium cost on 60:40 ratio. For remaining beneficiaries, Punjab govt. will bear the entire premium expenses. The state govt. will spend Rs. 276 crore (83% of annual premium amount) and central govt. will spend Rs. 57 crore out of total cost of Rs. 333 crore.
- Number of Packages & Empanelled Hospitals – MGSSBY scheme is going to cover 1396 treatment packages. This scheme will be implemented in more than 450 empanelled hospitals which includes 200 government hospitals.
- Significance – MGSSBY Scheme will cover 76% of population of state in comparison to 12% covered under PMJAY scheme. Similar schemes in other states only covers around 30% of state’s population.
Mahatma Gandhi Sarbat Sehat Bima Yojana will boost healthcare delivery in the state which enables people to avail accessible and affordable care in hassle free manner.
This MGSSBY scheme in Punjab even includes pre-hospitalization expenses for 3 days and post-hospitalization expenses for 15 days.