The central government has introduced the Pradhan Mantri Mahila Shakti Kendra (PMMSK) Scheme in the country. This scheme will empower rural women through community participation to create an environment so that they can realize their full potential. This scheme will perform under the patronage of Ministry of Women and Child Development.
This scheme will be implemented by Ministry of Women and Child Development under umbrella scheme mission for Protection and Empowerment for Women for the duration of 2017-18 to 2019-20. The central government has given its approval for expanding the benefits of Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) based on the successful implementation of the initiative in 161 districts across the nation.
Moreover, the central government will provide the financial outlay of Rs. 3,636.85 crore during 2017-18 to 2019-20 for the Pradhan Mantri Mahila Shakti Kendra (PMMSK) Yojana. The central government will constitute an “one common task force” at national, state and district level. This task force will help in planning, reviewing and monitoring the scheme to ensure the convergence of action and cost efficiency.
Pradhan Mantri Mahila Shakti Kendra (PMMSK) Scheme
The main objective of the scheme is to increase the care, protection and development of women across the country. Improving the child sex ratio, survival of new born girl child, girl education and empower them through several initiatives under the scheme are the main motives of the Mahila Shakti Kendra scheme.
Main Highlights of Pradhan Mantri Mahila Shakti Kendra Scheme
- This is a welfare scheme especially for care, protection, and development of women.
- This scheme will help improve child sex ratio, ensure survival & protection of the girl child, ensures her education, and empower them to realize their full potential.
- The central government will establish Mahila Shakti Kendra in the 115 most backward districts of the country. On these Kendras, the government will provide some facilities including skill development, employment, digital literacy, health and nutrition for women.
- The government will establish One Stop Centers (OSCs) in 150 additional districts during this period that would be connected with women helpline and will provide 24 hour emergency and non-emergency response to women.
- Below given is the screenshot of important provisions under the scheme which were taken by the central government
- PMMSK will be supported at National level (domain based knowledge support) and State level (State Resource Centre for Women). In addition, this scheme will also support at the district level and block level.
- All the supporters of the scheme will provide technical support to the government regarding any issues related to women.
- The central government will also establish additional Swadhar Greh to provide relief and rehabilitation to approximately 26,000 beneficiaries.
- In addition, the government will also provide their support to working women through 190 more Working Women Hostels. These hostels will be set-up to accommodate approximately 19,000 additional working women.
Furthermore, more than 3 lakh students from local colleges will also participate as volunteer to generate awareness regarding various important government schemes / programmes as well as social issues. The awareness campaign will provide an opportunity to Student Volunteers to participate in the development process by bringing change in their own communities.
In addition, the student will also ensure that women are not left behind and are equal partners in the progress of the country. The activities of student volunteers will be monitored through web based system. After completing the awareness campaign which would be organized by the student, certificates for community service will be distributed to the students which would be displayed on the national portal for verification. This certificate can also be used as an asset for the participating students in future.
Under the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) scheme, the government will intensify the campaign nation-wide. Accordingly, the central government will also sustain the BBBP campaign through the media in 640 districts and focused multi-sectoral action in the selected 450 districts. A district where child sex ratio (CSR) is low shall be taken up in the first year itself under BBBP.
Apart from this, the Manila Police Volunteers (MPVs) on a voluntary basis in States/UTs will be done to create an interface between public and police, which will be expanded to 65 districts covering all States /UTs.