The state govt. of Goa has launched 2 new schemes – PM Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMJJBY) & Craft and Gear Scheme for fishermen. PMJJBY will provide insurance cover to the fishermen and crew against accidental death at sea. Craft and Gear Scheme will provide financial assistance on the purchase of tools for their trade.
PMJJBY is an insurance scheme to enhance the adoption of Life Insurance Cover by the citizens. Fishermen have more chances of accidental death either due to drowning, rough weather conditions and natural calamities. So, govt. will provide compensation of Rs. 2 lakh to the victim’s family.
Under Craft and Gear Scheme, govt. will provide subsidy ranging from 40% to 60% on the purchase of craft and gear as life support equipment.
Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana for Fishermen
PM Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana is a one year Insurance Scheme being offered by LIC. Any fishermen is now eligible to fill the PMJJBY Application / Claim Form and can get Rs. 2 lakh as compensation amount in case of death of the fishermen.
However, the candidates must fulfill the eligibility criteria to become eligible to apply for PMJJBY:-
PMJJBY Eligibility Criteria for Fishermen
- This scheme is applicable only for the fishermen who is already engaged in the occupation of fishing and other sea related activities.
- All the fishermen between the age of 18 to 50 years can apply.
- Applicants must be residing in Goa for the past 15 years or more.
- Fishermen must be a member of any of the Fisheries co-operative societies.
- Fishermen must submit his good health certificate and a self declaration that he is not suffering from any acute illness.
- Moreover all the fishermen must possess an active savings bank account for the auto debit facility of the premium amount.
The annual premium of PMJJBY stands currently at Rs. 330. Out of this premium amount, 50% (Rs 165) will be borne by the Goa state government while the balance 50% will be borne by Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC). For more details, please see the – Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana Guidelines
Craft and Gear Scheme for Fishermen
The important features of Craft and Gear Scheme for fishermen are as follows:-
- All the Traditional and Co-operative fishermen of general category will get 40% subsidy on purchase of craft and gear.
- Fishermen from Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribes (ST) category and women will get 60% subsidy for craft and gear.
Both these schemes are for the welfare of fishermen to make them self-reliant and self-dependent to earn their livelihood.