Delhi govt. has launched ‘Merit cum Means’ scholarship scheme in the capital state with an aim of providing benefits to the students from poor families and needy student of different income groups.
Merit cum means scholarship would be a fee waiver scheme that provide scholarship for the students who are pursuing higher studies in the national capital. All students undergoing any undergraduate courses in state university colleges of Delhi would be eligible for this scheme.
Merit Cum Means Scholarship Scheme
The purpose of the merit cum means scholarship scheme is to remove the barriers from a needy student’s who has capability to achieve the goal and can serve to the country. Through this scheme a good student can grow further to make better future. Merit cum means scholarship scheme would financially help the poor students and help them achieve their life goals.
Eligibility Criteria for Merit cum Means Scholarship Fee Waiver Scheme
- To take the benefit of the scheme the students must have secured at least 60 per cent marks in the class he/she has just passed.
- 100% Fee Waiver: Students belonging to Below Poverty Line (BPL) category will get 100% fee waiver under the scheme.
- 50% Fee Waiver: Half of the fees will be paid by the Delhi Government if the student comes from a family with income upto Rs 2.5 lakh per annum.
- 25% Fee Waiver: For students from families with income above Rs 2.5 lakh and not exceeding Rs 6 lakh per annum, 25% fees will be waived off.
Students belonging to SC/ST community would get an extra 5% waiver in the fee under the scheme.
List of Universities
Below is the complete list of universities in Delhi students of which are eligible to get fee waiver under the merit cum means scholarship scheme.
- Indraprastha Institute of Information Technology
- Delhi Technological University
- GGS Indraprastha University
- Ambedkar University
- Delhi Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research University (DPSRU)/li
- Indira Gandhi Delhi Technological University for Women
- The Netaji Subhas Institute of Technology (NSIT), when this institution becomes a state university
It is expected that Delhi Government Merit cum Means scholarship scheme would benefit about 20,000-25,000 students. Often due to poor and moderate means of income, students have to face financial crises and fees payment issues. This fee waiver scheme of Delhi will help students to focus on studies not fees.
Govt. has announced Rs. 10 crore budget for the academic year 2017-18 for Merit cum means scholarship scheme. Government would ensure that no child is left behind in the higher education due to inability of paying the fee.