The Punjab Cabinet has decided to implement Mata Tripta Mahila Yojana 2021. This scheme would empower the women headed families in the state. Punjab Mata Tripta Mahila Yojna is expected to benefit arund 8 lakh households which are headed by women. In this article, we will tell you about the complete details of the scheme.
Punjab Mata Tripta Mahila Yojana 2021
The state of Punjab has around 54,86,851 households on the basis of Census 2011. Out of these families, around 7,96,030 households are headed by women. The main aim of Punjab Mata Tripta Mahila Yojana is to empower Women Headed Households (WHH) who is an adult female and the sole or main income earner and decision-maker.
Allocation for Mata Tripta Mahila Yojna
As per an estimate, an additional allocation of Rs. 177.1 crore per annum including Rs. 5 crore for IEC activities would be required from the year 2021-22. This allocation for Mata Tripta Mahila Yojana is required for new interventions. Moreover, allocated amount would also be used for dissemination and outreach programmes which would cover all the eligible beneficiaries.
Eligibility Criteria for Mata Tripta Mahila Yojana
The applicants must fulfill the below mentioned eligibility criteria to become eligible for Mata Tripta Mahila Yojana:-
- Applicant must be a permanent resident of Punjab state.
- The applicant women must be the head of the household.
- She must be a widow / deserted woman / separated woman / divorced woman / unmarried woman.
- She must be the sole earning member in the family.
Objectives of Mata Tripta Mahila Yojana in Punjab
As per the release from Chief Minister’s Office (CMO), the unique initiative namely Mata Tripta Mahila Yojana has the following objectives:-
- This scheme shall focus on providing the benefits of existing/ongoing government schemes being run by various departments.
- The underlying objective of this pro-women initiative is to reach out to all the needy women-headed households in the state.
- Punjab state govt. will provide services/benefits directly to women headed families.
- This scheme would ensure the rights of women with regard to healthcare, education, employment, safety and dignity in all spheres of life.
- In the new scheme, Punjab govt. would undertake new initiatives and programmes in order to cover those aspects and needs which have so far not been covered adequately under any existing Centrally/State sponsored scheme or women/girl child oriented scheme.
Women’s Empowerment through Mata Tripta Mahila Yojana
Women’s empowerment through Mata Tripta Mahila Yojana refers to the action of raising the status of women. This improvement in women status would be done through awareness, education, training and equal opportunity everywhere. Empowerment of women is thus about equipping women to make life determining decisions for themselves.
As per Census 2011, women constitute 47.23% of total population of the Punjab state as compared to 48.5% at the national level. The total population of Punjab is 2.7 crore, out of which, males number 1.4 crores and females number 1.3 crore.
Through Mata Tripta Mahila Yojana, the Punjab Government is committed to the empowerment of women in the state. It has already taken many initiatives for women through special schemes and policies. The reservation for women in the Panchayats and Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) has been increased to 50%. Likewise, the reservation of women in government jobs has been raised to 33%.