The state government of Karnataka is planning to introduce a new housing scheme for BPL families across the state. The intention of state government is to provide houses for one lakh people who are living under BPL category in Karnataka as per the official data.
According to the official notification, Housing department of Karnataka will soon get parcels of land of around 662 acres reclaimed on the outskirts of the city from the state government. The house will measure 300 square feet with a single bedroom which will be provided to each beneficiary.
Moreover, state government is continuously talking with banks to provide long term housing loans (20 years) with an EMI of Rs. 2,000 per month to each beneficiary.
Categories of Beneficiaries
Following are the main categories of the BPL beneficiaries who will be provided houses under the scheme
– Vegetable Vendors
– Auto Rickshaw Drivers
– Domestic Servants
– Slum Dwellers
– People living in rented homes
Feature of Karnataka Housing Scheme for BPL Families
Below are some of the salient features of the housing scheme for BPL families
- The scheme will provide housing only to people belonging to Below Poverty Line category.
- Each applicant will have to provide his/her Aadhaar number at time of registration.
- Eligible applicants will be selected through a lottery system.
- Applicants should have to their domicile in the city for at least five years.
- The handicapped applicants will get a discretionary quota ostensibly.
The detailed information about the BPL housing scheme will be out only after the scheme is launched.