Haryana Govt. has launched a new Sanitary Napkins Distribution Scheme to provide Sanitary Pads to Girl Students in just Rs. 1. Under this scheme, all the girls studying in various government schools will get these pads for menstrual hygiene. Women from the Below Poverty Line (BPL) Families will also get covered.
All the girls of govt. schools below the age of 18 years will get sanitary pads in schools. All the women above the age of 18 years will get it through Public Distribution System at ration shops every month.
After CM Khattar Meeting with other senior officials of school education department and health department, the state govt. decides to implement this scheme. Haryana Govt. will launch this scheme from 1 August 2018.
Haryana Sanitary Napkins Distribution Scheme
The important features and highlights of Haryana Sanitary Napkins Scheme:-
- These sanitary pads will remain available in packets priced at just Rs. 1.
- These affordable sanitary napkins are easy to dispose which will help in keeping environment clean.
- Biodegradable pads are of high quality and will promote Swachhta, Swasthya and Suvidha for poor women.
- This scheme will promote menstrual hygiene, provide huge relief to the girls and women and will result in Women Empowerment.
- Haryana Sanitary Pad Distribution Scheme is a major initiative towards Waste to Wealth Management.
It is also important to note that all the women wearing sanitary pads are less prone to diseases.
National Family Health Survey 4 – Reports
According to the reports of National Family Health Survey-4 conducted in FY 2015-16, approx. 58% young women b/w age group of 15 to 24 years still use cloth for menstrual protection. NFHS-4 also reveals that 42% young women uses sanitary napkins out of which around 16% women uses pads which are manufactured locally.
Moreover, around 78% women in urban areas use hygienic sanitary napkins while only 48% women in rural areas uses clean sanitary napkins. So, there is a great need to ensure that the rural women also uses sanitary pads to prevent them from diseases. Furthermore, all the sanitary pads available in market are non-biodegradable and causes harm to the environment in contrast to these sanitary napkins which are bio-degradable.