Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani has announced Gujarat Atmanirbhar (Self-Reliant) package of Rs. 14,000 crore. This new package will help in reviving the economy which is effected badly due to COVID-19 (Coronavirus) lockdown. The new Gujarat Atmanirbhar package will include tax rebates to consumers in property tax / electricity bills / vehicle tax and loan subsidy for business and shop owners. The new Gujarat Atmanirbhar Package seeks to cover vast section of people and businesses in the state.
The Gujarat state is one of the most industrialized one in the country but has reported more than 18,500 COVID-19 cases till date. CM Vijay Rupani is providing relief to various sections of the society on the recommendations of committed headed by former finance secretary Hasmukh Adhia.
The state govt. of Gujarat has decided to give relief to people in payment of property tax, electricity bills and vehicle tax.
Gujarat Atmanirbhar (Self-Reliant) Package
The important features and highlights of the Gujarat Atmanirbhar Package are as follows:-
Rebate in Property Tax / Electricity Bills / Vehicle Tax
- Commercial establishments, businesses, offices, hotels, restaurants, shops, hospitals will get a rebate of 20% in their annual property tax bills.
- All the residential property owners will get 10% rebate as per the details of Gujarat Atmanirbhar Package. This rebate in property tax bills will provide direct benefit to people to the tune of Rs. 744 crore.
- Electricity consumers who utilizes less than 200 units per month will get rebate on first 100 units of consumption. This will cost Rs. 200 crore to the state exchequer and the state govt. will give the amount to power companies.
- Moreover, various rebates have been announced for commercial and industrial consumers of electricity.
- Private buses, jeeps, taxis have been given relief of payment of road tax and tax for six months due to the lockdown.
The total relief for property tax, electricity bills and vehicle tax comes to the tune of Rs. 2,300 crore according to the Gujarat Atmanirbhar (Self Reliant) Package.
Loan Interest Subsidy for Business & Shop Owners
The state govt. of Gujarat announces to provide loan interest subsidy of 4% for loans of upto Rs. 2.5 lakh for business and shop owners. Out of the total 8% interest rate, 4% interest would have to be paid by the borrower while the remaining 4% interest is to be paid by the Gujarat government. The state govt. has allocated Rs. 525 crore for loan interest subsidy.
Revival of Industries / Housing Sector
Gujarat govt. has announced subsidy for various industries worth Rs. 3,038 crore while Rs. 458-crore relief was given to GIDC (Gujarat Industrial Development Corp) for promotion of industries. To revive the housing sector in Gujarat, the state govt. has announced Rs. 1,000 crore.
The state govt. of Gujarat has earmarked Rs. 466 crore for labour welfare. It includes benefits of Rs. 35,000 to each tribal labourer who works in different parts of Gujarat and wants to build house in their hometown.
Direct Transfer of Rs. 1,000 to Poor
The other benefits of Gujarat Atmanirbhar Package are of Rs. 5,044 crore. It includes free ration to poor families during the period of lockdown and direct transfer of Rs 1,000 in their accounts.
The state govt. has also decided to allocate Rs. 100 crore to the health department and another Rs 100 crore to four municipal corporations namely Ahmedabad, Surat, Vadodara and Rajkot. Gujarat govt. will provide this amount from the Chief Ministers Relief Fund to fight the novel coronavirus.